Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've always known that corn didn't automatically come in a can or a bag - but I was an early reader and I asked a lot of questions. My poor parents.
    Some of the kids I've seen in the school where I work, I dunno - if it weren't for the cafeteria, I'm pretty sure most of them would think corn came in little flat triangles with "cheese" or "sour cream" on it and was never grown at all, let alone started out as kernels.
    Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
    - Robert E. Howard

Comment

I find the stupidest part to be that she thought it was a cucumber. Sure corn looks different when it's like that, but it sure as hell doesn't look like a cucumber!

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
        Now having typed all that I have a question. You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?

I'm a Yankee, and a city person, but I'm also from Nebraska...Home of the CORNhuskers! There's a cornfield about 3 miles down the street from me (the cornfield belongs to BoysTown) so there's a good bit of us city folk here that know what an ear of corn looks like before it gets to the freezer and canned foods sections of the grocery store.

It always shocks me that people cant recognize various fruits and vegetables in their original straight-out-of-the-ground states...

edited to add: I might be a Yankee, but I do have Southern blood in me...my mom is from Mississippi...
        Last edited by Erin; 08-04-2006, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion
          [Zucchini is k]nown over here as courgettes.

They're just as vile in either country.
          Is the BOARD LEADER one of my favourite vegs? Why thanks, that's a pretty tasty preparation--don't mind if I have some.

Courgettes is a cool name; if I hadn't been able to find them in the store when I was young because they were called that instead of boring Italian squash I wouldn't have minded as much.

Of course I know what corn looks like--I saw it on Gilligan's Island growing in that wreath shape.

People thinking corn grows in triangles...ohhh

Well, I didn't learn until college that cheddar cheese was naturally white, and that betrayal fortified my fight to preserve quaintness.

BTW, while perspective is the biggest factor in determining yankeehood, Maryland can be called a southern state as it's below the Jackie Mason-Jeane Dixon Line (if only we had that!)
          I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Zucchini should be forgotten. It's one of the nastiest tasting food, if you can even call it food. Add eggplant and broccoli to that list of editable stuff that shouldn't be eaten.

But to your question Mixed Bag. Now days Yankeehood is basically a new word for "city folks". Unless of course, you smack in the middle of Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, North and South Carolina, and the "swamp" of Florida. Then it means anyone who was born in a state that fought for the Union in the Civil War.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I like courgettes! Now spinach, that is the devil's food. O_o
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer
                I like raw spinach in salads...with caesar dressing, parmesean and black olives all over it. Yum!! Now I'm hungry for some baby spinach.

I just recently discovered asparagus...my parents are wondering who I am because since I started to eat asparagus I've actually been making it at home and ordering it when it's on the menu at a restaurant. Before asparagus, the few vegetables that would pass my lips were probably only corn and potatoes.

Now I'm also starting to like green beans (covered with garlic butter)

My boyfriend said that I must be finally acquiring my adult taste buds.

Comment

I'm the opposite. When I was a child, I ate all kinds of veggies. Now I can't stand the taste of most veggies.
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth Kit
                    Up here in Yankeesville, we grow corn in plastic, on corn trees, and it's picked by immigrant latvians.

yep.

Anyone who confuses unshucked corn for cucumbers is a MOW-RON and really should be exchanging their brain for a box of rocks.

seriously, they'll get more mileage out of it.
                    Myself, I wouldn't inflict that kind of hatred upon a box of rocks.

All I can say about that woman in the OP is what an idiot. She's past moron - she's certified idiot.

And yep, I've seen corn in the shucks before - I've bought it that way from the local farmer's market many a time (silver queen is awesome IMO.)
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
                      Zucchini...if you can even call it food. Add eggplant and broccoli to that list of editable stuff that shouldn't be eaten.

But to your question Mixed Bag...
                      Thanks for the info. And for pointing out that some people don't like good vegetables like those; it helps me understand, these must be the same people that like avocados and olives, etc.

Especially, what's with sweet potatoes? Maybe the same people like peas with whipped cream and hot fudge lima beans?

The final word: Baked potatoes get tons of butter or margarine--not cream that's gone sour, and you don't chill them and pasta and smother them with mayo. No other vegetables get a yellow substance. Corn is awesome and only to be eaten from an unbuttered cob that hasn't been frozen and in no other case--except corn bread, and chips, which should be round instead of injurious.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer
                        No way! Spinach is good stuff. The devil's food has to be the overboiled, underseasoned cabbage that you Brits love to pass off as veg. A year of eating that stuff while at Oxford and I will never, ever, eat cabbage again for as long as I live.

Comment

Quoth Mixed Bag View Post
                          Especially, what's with sweet potatoes? Maybe the same people like peas with whipped cream and hot fudge lima beans?
                          You've just got to prepare them correctly. I agree that canned sweet potatoes in heavy syrup are way too cloying. Fresh sweet potatoes, baked like regular potatoes, are quite good, though. Or cooked in a casserole with apples and just a little brown sugar... mmm!
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Corn in husk =

Cucumber =

Sucky custumer =
                            ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

[QUOTE=Enjis;764]Oh for gosh sakes! I grew up in Detroit, and I have known what fresh corn was all my life!

Another Detroiter and know what fresh corn is. I have had it though, yummy.

Comment

XCash, your devotion to yams is so touching...how can we mock food oblivious to the people behind it? (Wish I knew the words or smileys to make this sound as sincere as I mean it, so I'll leave it at that...)

Comment

Working...
                                X