Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jester: ... You're friends with Robin Williams?

Comment

That's the thing I will never get about deep southerners (I'm a Virginnyian), myself. How they can still be so sore over losing a war over a hundred years ago..

You never hear northerners call southerners "secess" or "johnny reb" anymore. Git over it.

Comment

Geez, I have to live down here with the "hell, no, I ain't fergittin' " crowd. What a bunch of putzes. "you ain't fergittin'", eh? Fergittin' what? Were you ALIVE back then?

Ptah.

They just now got around to taking the rebel flag off the state house a couple years ago. Can you imagine? WHAT century are we in again????

Comment

Eh - couldn't read the whole thing but thought I'd add my little bit. I'm from Kentucky and I consider myself "in the middle" not really north - not really south...... so I'm both Anyway...... now I could understand maybe if she got cucumbers confused w/ zucchini squash - I've done that myself a few times (I rarely get either so sometimes I see them both and it takes me a sec - not b/c I'm an idiot, but b/c I don't use it much). Anyway, she COULD have just said "that doesn't look like corn" and you could have proceeded to show her the corn "inside".

That being said - has she NEVER seen a picture of corn? Guess she never saw "Joseph & the Technicolor Dreamcoat" or any version of Joseph's story in the Bible (remember the heads of corn dream?) Must not be a church-goer. I just can't imagine never seeing a corn field no matter where you live....... I've driven across the US From California to KY and we saw LOTS of cows and cornfields.... it's just amazing. Was it on here that someone wrote about heads of lettuce? Some kid said in a grocery store: "mom what's that?" And she said "that's a head of lettuce - that's how they used to sell lettuce before they put it in bags and they still keep it around in case some old people want to buy it that way"........ ???? No wonder if the kid grows up thinking lettuce is SUPPOSED to come in a bag....... or that corn comes wrapped in plastic.......... I blame the parents

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
            Geez, I have to live down here with the "hell, no, I ain't fergittin' " crowd. What a bunch of putzes. "you ain't fergittin'", eh? Fergittin' what? Were you ALIVE back then?
            Exactly. The war was 140 years ago. You lost. Get over it. However, such logic is lost on those people...many of whom (at least locally) proudly fly the rebel flag on their rusted-out 1977 Chevy pickups
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You bet i do! There's not much finer on a summer day that grilling corn while still in the husk. Juicey and delicious!

Comment

Nantucket corn is one of the best types of sweet corn I know.

Comment

Quoth mrtauntaun
                  You bet i do! There's not much finer on a summer day that grilling corn while still in the husk. Juicey and delicious!
                  Um...yeah. I used to do this, too.

http://www.rosettadesign.com/buildin...friedfood.html

Comment

Quoth air914
                    Anyway...... now I could understand maybe if she got cucumbers confused w/ zucchini squash - I've done that myself a few times (I rarely get either so sometimes I see them both and it takes me a sec - not b/c I'm an idiot, but b/c I don't use it much).

That's happened to me once or twice, gathering supplies for the salad bar. :sheepish: The way the zucchini is placed on the sales floor, it can look VERY similar to cucumbers. (Not to mention the fact that the zucchini and cucumbers are usually placed quite close to each other...)
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

What's a zucchini? I've never heard of it... I wouldn't know one if it jumped up and bit me. I do know corn however.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                        The definition of a yankee: If you weren't born within VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, or TN then you are a yankee. We have been know to make exceptions for somefolk that have a southern state-of-mind. A damnyankee is one of the above that moves here to stay.
                        Not Maryland?? (I'm a Yank either way, being from PA, but I thought Maryland counted as southern.)

Comment

Heh. It gets more fun when you cross borders. Me being from Arkansas and my friend Catherine being from Canada, we get into some interesting terms. Anyone who heard half the crap we called each other would definitely not assume we were friends, hee hee.

I will say, though, the thing that always scares my friends when I mention it to them is telling them about having to go out and run the bobcat out of the yard They always get this deer-in-headlights look about them.
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I tend to give my Canadian friends (you know who you are) a hard time about living in the "great parking lot to the North" or how the local sandwich shops has more subs than their military. Sometimes I'll bug my friends in Cleveland (aka the "Mistake by the Lake") about how Pittsburgh's rivers don't burn. It's all harmless fun, since we pick on each other.

MG and Triumph fans are also fair game in each others' circles. I've seen several shirts that read something like "I'd rather drive an MG than push a Triumph..." and vice-versa. It's actually pretty funny...as both cars were made by the same company, and even used many of the same parts after 1968...
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer
                              What's a zucchini? I've never heard of it... I wouldn't know one if it jumped up and bit me. I do know corn however.
                              Known over here as courgettes.

They're just as vile in either country.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                                The kids and I were up before daylight this morning pulling sweet corn and loading new taters, okra, yellow squash, maters, green beans, brocoli, fresh dill, cucs, and some other assorted vegis all from our garden. We arrive 30 minutes before opening and get setup. We really don't raise the extra vegis to sell, what we don't use and family can't use we try to sell and donate the rest to the food bank, and what money we make is split up between the children.
                                Anyways back on subject, an hour before close (noon) this yankee woman asks my youngest daughter Z (8) for some corn. Z takes the woman by the hand and leads her over to the corn and tells her to take her pick but the butter and cream corn is the best tasting.

YW: I want corn not cucumbers.
                                Z: That is corn cucumbers are over there (pointing to the other end).
                                YW: Little girl I want corn and that's not corn, where's your father?
                                Z: Daddy this lady wants to talk to you.
                                Me: What can I do for you.
                                YW: I wanted some corn but your daughter keeps trying to sell me cucumbers.
                                Me: That's corn right in front of you. That's Silver Queen, Yellow Gold, and that's butter and cream.
                                YW: I want corn and that's not corn you stupid rednecks are trying to steal from people and I'm going to report you to Reverand Anderson. (Walks away in a huff).
                                About 15 minutes later, the Right Rev:
                                RR: Mr. Tanasi, Mrs something-ski says you're trying to rip her off by selling cucumbers as corn.
                                Me: No I'm trying to sell her corn she's just too stupid to know corn when she sees it. (I really said that and loud enough for her to hear me say it.)
                                RR: What were you showing her? (I walk him over to the corn.)
                                Me: There, three kinds of sweet corn.
                                YW: See he's trying to sell cucumbers as corn.
                                RR: Mrs. something-ski that's corn.
                                YW: No it's not.
                                Me: Lady it's still in the shuck you have to shuck it before you get to the corn. (And I shuck an ear of corn.) See.
                                YW: (Sputtering) Well how am I susposed to know that?
                                Me: You might have asked before you started accusing me of crime. Now do you want corn or not?
                                YW: Well not with that attitude I'll take my business elsewhere.
                                Me: Then go and leave me alone.

Now having typed all that I have a question. You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?

I was born and raised in a city outside Cleveland, Ohio. Even in the middle of the city we had a garden and in that garden we grew our own corn and I am a yankee and a city folk - yes, I know corn needs to be shucked!
                                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X