A guide for customers about retail

Comment

The last one is first story that is bad enough for me to require
      "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Aramika View Post
        The last one is first story that is bad enough for me to require
        join the club...join the club *puts his bottle in his bag for the day tomorrow*
        -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

Comment

Hold up, once again I have to laugh myself to stitches.

*Does so*

Alright, I'm done.

So was this an over-all good day or bad day, Flea-bit?
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I have a friend of mine who's computer I KNOW I'm going to have to work on and open the case on at some point, and I'm dreading it.

She is a smoker and her ex-husband installed a USB (I think) powered cigarette lighter, with an attached ashtray that fits in a full-sized bay (picture a CDRom slot on the front of your computer replaced by an extendable ash-tray/lighter combo).

So not only does she smoke, she knocks her ashes off right in front of the computer, where the fans will draw them right into the case...

When it does happen, I plan to take a change of cloths and overnight kit, so I can shower after.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
              She is a smoker and her ex-husband installed a USB (I think) powered cigarette lighter, with an attached ashtray that fits in a full-sized bay (picture a CDRom slot on the front of your computer replaced by an extendable ash-tray/lighter combo).

So not only does she smoke, she knocks her ashes off right in front of the computer, where the fans will draw them right into the case...
              What were they thinking of when they came up with that?
              Thats just asking for problems....

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
                Oh. My. God.

*runs to bathroom to retch*

The smoker's computer had me feeling queasy, then the sticky keyboard guy had my tummy going over the edge of AUGH!!!!

Please tell me you guys at least wear latex gloves with any type of repair job you do.
                we do. when we find a job that nwe thingk is disgusting, someone walks over to the B&Q we share the retail park with to get some gloves

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                Hold up, once again I have to laugh myself to stitches.

*Does so*

Alright, I'm done.

So was this an over-all good day or bad day, Flea-bit?
                erm...workhorse? that was a set from several days...months, even ^^;

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                I have a friend of mine who's computer I KNOW I'm going to have to work on and open the case on at some point, and I'm dreading it.

When it does happen, I plan to take a change of cloths and overnight kit, so I can shower after.

Eric the Grey
                that...sounds like a stupid computer design o.o. I have seen those particular types of cancer-helpers before. we used to sell them at one point untill we recieved umteen complaints.

Quoth VenomX View Post
                What were they thinking of when they came up with that?
                Thats just asking for problems....
                probibly the money they will get in replacement parts sales

Comment

Suddenly I don't feel nearly so bad about being a bit slack on cleaning a noisy fan on an older vid card I was planning to replace soon anyway....
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
                    Please tell me you guys at least wear latex gloves with any type of repair job you do.
                    Yeah - you ought to assume any computer might have hazardous stuff in it. I think the most unusual part of the story was only that he actually told you.

That sounds like a great service you offer. I'm a bit nervous about cleaning out my own computer - but I know it needs doing. I'm rather interested in where you work

Though much as I don't like the thought of opening it up and cleaning or spraying air - I don't like the idea of carrying it somewhere and bumping it about. I'm over protective of my lovely computer.

Anyway, er, how do you feel about dead insects in cases ?

I bought my computer from a firm that did custom build (you know how computer prices work - things get more expensive in increments and then there's a sudden jump to the newest, latest and shiniest ? I got the best of everything I could below the sudden price hike, and ended up with a computer I love. And a loan I'm still paying off which I don't).

However I didn't actually like the way any of them look, so in the absence of beauty I went for silly, and have a case with a see through window, a fan in the middle of it and an ultra violet light around the fan. Silly fits into my house more than minimalist.

Unfortunately the light attracts insects, and the fan hits and kills them. The bloody thing works like a bug catcher - and the bottom of my computer has little dead insects collecting.

Don't know what to do (other than clean it out before it starts affecting parts). Despite the untidy nature of my house it isn't too dusty or anything (though the fans need cleaning). I just want it to be a computer not a bug catcher.

Victoria J
                    Last edited by Victoria J; 05-24-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                      Suddenly I don't feel nearly so bad about being a bit slack on cleaning a noisy fan on an older vid card I was planning to replace soon anyway....
                      I have one suggestion for you...air filters seriously, they are a god send, or water cooling lol

Quoth Victoria J View Post
                      Yeah - you ought to assume any computer might have hazardous stuff in it. I think the most unusual part of the story was only that he actually told you.

That sounds like a great service you offer. I'm a bit nervous about cleaning out my own computer - but I know it needs doing. I'm rather interested in where you work

Though much as I don't like the thought of opening it up and cleaning or spraying air - I don't like the idea of carrying it somewhere and bumping it about. I'm over protective of my lovely computer.

Anyway, er, how do you feel about dead insects in cases ?

I bought my computer from a firm that did custom build (you know how computer prices work - things get more expensive in increments and then there's a sudden jump to the newest, latest and shiniest ? I got the best of everything I could below the sudden price hike, and ended up with a computer I love. And a loan I'm still paying off which I don't).

However I didn't actually like the way any of them look, so in the absence of beauty I went for silly, and have a case with a see through window, a fan in the middle of it and an ultra violet light around the fan. Silly fits into my house more than minimalist.

Unfortunately the light attracts insects, and the fan hits and kills them. The bloody thing works like a bug catcher - and the bottom of my computer has little dead insects collecting.

Don't know what to do (other than clean it out before it starts affecting parts). Despite the untidy nature of my house it isn't too dusty or anything (though the fans need cleaning). I just want it to be a computer not a bug catcher.

Victoria J
                      lol. I guess we should. experience should tell us, but it never does ^^;

as for where I work, I would mention it in other places but on a forum which is designed for us to bitch about customers, i'd rather not take the risk. Lets just say it's a rather large, nation-wide computer store

actually, if you drive, if you are worried about bumping the computer, then just strap it in with a seat belt. as long as you don't drop-kick it through the patio doors, your computer should be pretty versatile.

insects inside a machine? myself, I would reject the job ^^; but it's not difficult for you to get the bugs out, then bring the machine in.

what I would suggest is that you clean the little buggers out because if they short the electrical contacts, it will reack havoc. and insects conduct electricity rather well

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
                        I have one suggestion for you...air filters seriously, they are a god send, or water cooling lol
                        We're talking a K6-3 450 mhz with an old Geforce 4, that hasn't seen the case side in 7 or so years. It's a tough old bastige of a machine and if I ever find my old FX5200 it'll get what's likely to be one of the final upgrades it sees, but it's not worth a huge investment.
                        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
                          erm...workhorse? that was a set from several days...months, even ^^;
                          Great. But answer the question, Flea-bit. Was that a GOOD DAY or a BAD DAY? Sheesh, boy, I know you think I'm a total ditz but it wasn't that hard a question to understand. Best part is you don't have to be on CRACK to understand it.

Comment

Wow.

This isn't the first time something I've read has made me feel ill, but it IS the first time I've actually thrown up from a post. Don't worry, I'm all right, it needed to be done.

Granted, I was already feeling a touch queasy, but the last guy just...oh my God. How do you not hurl right in front of people like that?
                            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                              How do you not hurl right in front of people like that?
                              Discussing autopsies, gruesome ways to die, Guro and Vore, and all sorts of other nasties at the dinner table helps quite a bit. His stomach isn't iron-clad yet, but I'm working on him.

Hmm. I'm feeling like some Italian cuisine again tonight.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                                Discussing autopsies, gruesome ways to die, Guro and Vore, and all sorts of other nasties at the dinner table helps quite a bit. His stomach isn't iron-clad yet, but I'm working on him.

Hmm. I'm feeling like some Italian cuisine again tonight.
                                I can handle all kinds of gory stuff, don't get me wrong. I've been elbow deep in blood and guts a few times in my life. But just...EWWW.
                                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Working...
                                X