This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    Back in the 80s they didn't do that... they'd just assume it was the wife and that she had permission to use the card.

The growth of divorces and broken marriages and couples stabbing each other in the back financially has broken most stores of that habit... plus, these days, if the store accepts the card and it's proved to be fraudulent use... wouldn't the store also get in trouble for accepting it?
    I had a nice chat with the bank about that. My husband and I both got new checkcards, but I wasn't going to be home to re PIN my card for a week or 2 (local Credit Union). I called for some other reason (I think verifying the "open late" day), and decided to ask if he could PIN my card for me. Of course, I got the no I was expecting and the rep and I laughed that my husband could decide if I lived or died if I was in a coma, but couldn't put PIN my check card for our joint checking account.
    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      SC: Man that sucks. I can't afford a 360 yet, my Xbox is all I got.
      Me: Well then you'll be missing out on all the new releases I'm afraid.
      Unless you are a Madden fan.
      Madden 08 was the last game relaeased for the XBox, until Madden 09 came along. Pretty much a lock for "Best New XBox Game for 2008", since it was the only new XBox game released in 2008.

Comment

Quoth Bosch View Post
        Also find out before you walk in and ask for an app if the store does them on-line. Cause we do write down everyone's name who walks in and asks for an app. And I vote NO on every single one who asks for an app in person, cause it is a simple on-line search at our web site to find the employment link. If you are too stupid to do that, I don't want to work with you. It shows you are lazy cause everyone of them gives a cattbutt face when we say we do them on-line ONLY. "did you think I was going to fill out the app for you? Or that you were special that you could apply in person?" Nope don't want to work with you if you can't do that little bit of research on your own, means I am going to have to hold your hand through every move we make on the sales floor.. FAIL
        How is sitting on your ass in your underwear at home to fill out a job application LESS lazy than putting on a clean shirt and tie and stopping by the shop in person to pick up a written form?

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but for me, pounding the pavement is one of the most important tools in a retail job search. It's how you find out who's hiring. Many places that are hiring will give you an interview on the spot if they like the cut of your jib. Dismissing people who actually have the gall to ask in person seems...I don't know. Counterintuitive.

I'm curious as to why people who ask for a job application in person offend you so much. I know that many of them probably show up wearing a torn Metallica T-shirt and with their pants around their ankles, but there must be some that put on a tie and dungarees for the occasion. I know I do.

Love, Who?

Comment

But it's my husbands CARD!
          I actually made a big mistake on this one before - two young boys (we're talking like 14) come into my store looking to buy a laptop. Eventually settle on a £450 model. I'm working checkout at the time, so my sup comes over and tells me if it's cash, check every note, and if it's card, call through a code 10 - basically our fraud check thing.

So they come to the counter and hand me a card, with the name Alison something on it. Oh dear. So, I promptly pick up my phone and call a code 10. Guy on the other end asks me for some details, I answer, and he asks is it a lady presenting the card... to which I reply no. He goes into high alter (you can hear the tension in his voice). He goes through a lot of crap on his end, talking to the bank etc, before coming back and asking me to confirm the customer's name.

Me: Could you confirm your name please?
          C: Alison xxxxxx
          Me: YOU'RE Alison xxxxxx?
          C: Yes. *Pulls out ID*
          Me:

Embarrassment much?

muttering: damn androgynous kids....
          ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Quoth Devonian View Post
            Which gives you some indication of just how poorly the PS3's been doing. iirc, most consoles die off very fast after the next generation comes out (look at the Gamecube, for example, which was already pretty much dead when the Wii came out), but the PS2 Just. Won't. Die.
            Well, there's that and the fact that even if the PS3 had been successful, the PS2 still has a HUGE installed base.

Not to mention that the PS2 is much cheaper to make games for, so the smaller developers like GUST, Nippon Ichi(to an extent) and Atlus can make more off of a game developed on the PS2 than on the PS3.

That's not to say the PS3 hasn't done pretty terribly, but I think we'd still be seeing games from smaller developers on the PS2 for quite a while, just like we did for the PS1.
            Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
              Really? I mean, the previous quote about your boxers hanging down is fine; those people look stupid anyway, but do I really need a shirt and slacks or a suit to waltz into a gamestop and pick up an application?
              I can see doing so when I'm dropping it off and speaking to a manager about it, but do I need to dress up to be handed a sheet of paper?
              Yeah, what if they want to interview you on the spot? What if you're handing the app to the guy who makes the decisions. Picking up an app, not as important, but if you're clothes are covered in paint or you stink, maybe go home first.

Jeans and a nice shirt would be fine, but still.

Quoth Bosch View Post
              And if you are a regular in our store you should have noticed that we do not have a kiosk. And for paper apps, you should have checked out the linky on-line. Its called due diligence(sp?) You want to know as much about a company as you can learn so you can talk to the person doing the interview it shows you want to make it a better place to work since you took the time to go out on your own and learn something rather "how many hours will you give me and how much is my discount?"= Fail... Which is what we see most often. Show us something different and odds are we will hire you.

Out of curiosity, short of asking how do people know it's only online? Do they have to check out the website before they come into the store so that they don't make a mistake while shopping too?

I would hope the "now hiring" signs say "apply online" but if I'm shopping and see a sign, and I want to ask an employee a question about it before I get home and check online I'd like to think that doesn't count me out from being hired.

Sure you want to learn about a company before you apply, but if you're shopping and say "oh they're hiring". Or if you're unemployed and so desperate for a job that you'll work anywhere...

Comment

I have to say I LOVED FFX. I wish they would bring back the sphere grid concept for learning abilities/raising stats. It was so addictive.

Comment

Hi I came across this site and just had to join. I work for the British equivalent of a large American supermarket, nice green uniforms, and I love chip and pin.

No is it credit or debit? your card or husbands, we don't even handle the card, customer inserts in machine and if it is debit card it prompts for cashbank, credit card it just prompts enter pin, love it.

Our cards are not combined only one type either a debit card or credit card.
                  You should do this in America.

One quick SC story, when there was a petrol shortage customer wanted £12 of petrol on self service pump. Of course they over ran and put in £12.01 Of course they had to pay at the garage but came across to the stores customer service desk and complained that they were being done out of 1p (lowest amount of money like 1 cent) and wanted their 1p refunded.

They spent 15 mins arguing about this as there is no way the store can refund for petrol plus it was in their car. Eventually a manager appears and after hearing the story pulls out 1p from his pocket puts it on the counter and walks off.

Patty

Comment

For the record, the game with fighting animal was some Game Boy Advance game I'd never heard of before.

Also, certain models of the PS3 with 20, 40 and 60GB drives are backwards compatible, though none of the units currently being manufactured have the capability.

The 20gig and one of the 60's have true Backwards compatibility via hardware. The other 60 and one of the 80's use software emulation (90%+ of the titles, I think?). You need to download the free PS2 bios-program-thingy from the PSN network to enable it. Note that ALL ps3's will play PS 1 games with no problems.

Getting an older unit isn't that hard, I got my (original 60gig) from Dealtree a while back. They're not exactly "rare", so shop around before you buy. Just do your homework to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting. Personally, I would recommend the "original" 60 gig if at all possible (hardware ps2 and all of the ports), as the price difference between that and the other BC models probably will not be too huge.

NOTE -- Keep in mind that the hard drive is upgradeable, they even have instructions on how to do it in the manual. It's a standard notebook-sized hard drive, with a SATA connection. Don't bother with "fast" hard drives or SSD's, as they will get throttled down to 5400rpm (or was it 5700?) anyway. I have a 320gig unit in mine ^_^ You can snag deals on a bigger drive on places like NewEgg with no problem (better yet, hit a sale).

Just keep in mind that you will need a small-headed philips screwdriver, some patience, and a lot of torque to get those blasted blue retainer screws out that hold the drive within the caddy. I swear they use superglue to put those damn things in there >_>
                    Last edited by EricKei; 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I swore I'd never reveal this to anyone that was NOT at that interview, but I actually interviewed and received a job at Game Stop while wearing a Sailor Mercury costume.

It was Halloween. I wasn't scheduled to interview for another week. Had I not been at school when they called to bump up my appointment I'm positive I would have changed clothes.

I'm surprised by the number of people that walk in off the street and ask for jobs at Radio Shack. The apps are all online so we don't have any paper apps to give them, but MAN! The sheer number of them!

Comment

Quoth Patty28 View Post
                        Our cards are not combined only one type either a debit card or credit card.
                        You should do this in America.

One quick SC story, when there was a petrol shortage customer wanted £12 of petrol on self service pump. Of course they over ran and put in £12.01 Of course they had to pay at the garage but came across to the stores customer service desk and complained that they were being done out of 1p (lowest amount of money like 1 cent) and wanted their 1p refunded.
                        Over here we prepay and then pump, so there's no bother about anyone going over or fighting to get people to pay for the gas they put in their car. You should try it over there.

SCs will find ways to be SCs, regardless of the hurdles society puts in their way. We can't get people to use ATM cards correctly, and you think making credit cards that behave the same way will somehow change their core behavior? I think I'll get my flying unicorns first.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Fox One View Post
                          Whoa, they removed backwards-compatibility from the PS3? Buh? I mean, I'm still planning to buy one...Kingdom Hearts 3 is gonna come out eventually...but damn, that sucks just a little bit.
                          I thought they put it back in for the new version.

Comment

Miyokan - not that I am aware (tho it would be nice) -- check GK's link for the chart showing which do it and which do not.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X