This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
    Did the mall of america sink one of Edmontons subs? (I hear they have a destroyer)
    No, West Ed just basically decommissioned them all. I guess the ride was too expensive to maintain, so they just ran the subs along the track, then ditched them along certain points to be used as decoration.

And as an aside, I believe that WEM had 4 subs at the height of their military power. I believe the Canadian Navy had 3, at that time.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Ah well darn I was hoping for inter-mall warfare.

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
        Ah well darn I was hoping for inter-mall warfare.
        Well, the subs would have a hard time getting to the MoA from WEM, since they're basically in the smack middle of the mall, but I guess the threat of the destroyer may be why they're always submerged. Harder to hit with a bombardment that way... <_<
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          I should hope you don't actually talk like that! Is that supposed to be English?
          I don't talk like that...simply because I don't go "dahntahn." The traffic sucks, there's nowhere to park, etc. Seriously though, the Scots-Irish had a huge impact on the language here. In fact, they blessed us with the word "Jagoff"
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            No, West Ed just basically decommissioned them all. I guess the ride was too expensive to maintain, so they just ran the subs along the track, then ditched them along certain points to be used as decoration.

And as an aside, I believe that WEM had 4 subs at the height of their military power. I believe the Canadian Navy had 3, at that time.
            actually... WEM had five... two were "sunk" for decoration and the other three for rides... I've taken the ride more than once, sad to say. Now, however, they are 'parked' and where they were is a paddle-wheel-squirt-your-friends-with-water-guns game thing... OH and the dolphins are gone... Howard finally died, and Maria was lonely without him so she got shipped elsewhere, they have seals now!

OH! OH! OH! And the lemon shark is still there too! And the penquins (African Black-foot, they're a warm weather variety) are still there and you know, I could call up my sister and ask her about the other changes they're making... she works for the Mall's retail warehouse...
            "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
            ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Quoth Voldine View Post
              Paw-sta? Mare-e-o?

Get out of the South before your brain melts. We pronounce both of those words the right way here in Connecticut.

Next thing you'll be saying 'witchadija' is a real word.
              I hadn't heard anyone say pass-ta out here until my british boyfriend told me that's what he was making for dinner. I've lived here for ten years! haha
              Needless to say, it confuses me.

"Witchadija"??? Sounds utterly gangster, hah
              "But the pharmacy was here this morning...!"

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                How do people even know youre canadian? Im sure you dont go traipsing around in a red maple leaf shirt? LOL (kidding....plz dont be offended )
                Generally we stick to maple leaf pins and hats... Possibly socks. but shirts is pushing it lol
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

To the OP- What a douchebag! Glad your husband didn't take his crap.

Yes, we have one functional submarine in our navy- fortunately my friend won't be going anywhere near it- I've got a friend who ships out to Basic training the middle of this month, he's joining the Navy

Sometimes I wish it wasn't such a hassle to come to the US- If not for the legal hassles and high cost of living, I would relocate to San Francisco in a heartbeat. I visited last year, and was amazed at how "At home" I felt in the city after a week. I miss the Golden Gate Bridge, that thing is hella amazing.

Comment

The accent thing can't always prove you're from Canada. I am Minnesotan, and we have a tendency to sound fairly Canadian at times. Just watch "Fargo" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous" or, sadly, any video of Sarah Palin. Slightly exaggerated in some parts, but mostly accurate. Personally, words like "toast" are the worst for me. I say it with a reeeeally long o.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      In Canada we use long As, so instead of Paw-sta we say Pass-ta, instead of Mare-e-O (as in the Nintendo mascot), it's Mar-E-O.
                      I grew up in the Deep South, and I still live there... I have never heard those two words pronounced in any way other than your way -- "pahhsta/pahsta" and "mar-e-o/mahr-e-o" ...

Once, tho, when I was in a slightly further North southern city, when they found out that I wasn't from 'round those parts, they said "You're from New Orleans? Why DON'T you have an accent, then?".....This from a Georgia Peeeeach...

Quoth Drakstern View Post
                      Just don't knock 'y'all'. I will continue using y'all until I come across a better second person plural for the English language.
                      Seconded...y'all ^_^
                      Last edited by EricKei; 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You might be a Canadian.

Witchadija is an AWESOME word! Oh, and,

BLAME CANADA!

Comment

It's always better set to music:

BLAME CANADA!
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                            I thought that "you'ns" or "yunz" was "y'all" plus three... (thanks to Jeff Foxworthy).
                            Actually, 'you' IS the plural. The second person singular is 'thou'.

Nominative: I, Thou, He/She/It
                            Objective: Me, Thee, Him/Her/It
                            Genitive & Possessive: My/Mine, Thy/Thine, His/Her/Hers/Its

And for plurals

Nominative: We, Ye/You, They
                            Objective: Us, You, Them
                            Genitive & Possessive: Our/Ours, Your/Yours, Their/Theirs

Both 'ye' and the 'thou' series have fallen out of use, and that's why we're getting y'all, yinz, and the other variations.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                            X