Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got called "sir" a few times, but I was bald. Well, nearly - I had what we called an "Oy", which was basically 6 inches of bangs and no other hair. I always chalked it up to one of those "well, what did you expect, really?" things and went on with my day. Sometimes I didn't even correct them, if it was a one shot transaction.

Seriously, name calling? Unnecessary and really rude.
    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
      Then you see the next photo, taken from the front, and you find out that it's an Irish setter...

clicky
      Peter Venkman: "So, she's a dog."
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I can totally see this happening to a former library co-worker.......she's not especially feminine in appearance, and getting a really short hairstyle didn't really "help". (Basing this on the staff training day we had last year - hadn't seen "Ruby" in a few years, and thought she was a man at first)

Comment

In HS I used to be mistaken for a girl a lot (long blond hair, not in a pony tail). Rarely would it happen if people saw me from the front, but often enough people would make derogatory comments about lesbians when I was kissing my then GF.

That said, I specifically attempt to NOT use gender pronouns when interacting with the public. The only people who I have seen get offended/annoyed/whatever are those that are easily mistaken, but aren't trans. All of the trans people I have met are REALLY good about the entire gender pronoun thing. They will either just smile and accept whatever you call them, or politely correct you.

Then again, Trans people tend to just be awesome in general, not sure why....

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
            Peter Venkman: "So, she's a dog."
            "Let me tell you. I asked another fella, `How you doin' with the girls?' He says, `Yesterday I had a date with three of 'em. Gladys, Myrtle and Fido.' I says `Fido? Fido's a dog!' He says `If you think Fido's a dog, you shoulda seen Gladys and Myrtle...' " (Emil Cohen, "Uff-Ruff", 1961)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
              I bet she was a bitch!!!!!
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The thread reminds me of the SNL character Pat.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You know, those of us who got extra helpings in the Great Cosmic Boob Handout are always grateful when guys DON'T talk exclusively to our chests, so I can put up with being called "sir" by a worker who isn't really concentrating!
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                    That said, I specifically attempt to NOT use gender pronouns when interacting with the public. The only people who I have seen get offended/annoyed/whatever are those that are easily mistaken, but aren't trans. All of the trans people I have met are REALLY good about the entire gender pronoun thing. They will either just smile and accept whatever you call them, or politely correct you.

Then again, Trans people tend to just be awesome in general, not sure why....
                    my last relationship was with a really fantastic trans guy and I found that when I was out with him I was constantly having servers and such refer to us as "you girls" "ladies" etc. made me realize how often people do that without even thinking about the impact it can have on people.

My first girlfriend once got "excuse me sir...uh...miss...uh...i'm not really sure". Well, at least he was honest right?

Comment

Back in college I had my head shaved*

Anywho, within two weeks I was called nasty names for both gay men and women. Meh... The people who said that were drunks and college idiots... So I didn't care.

*actually got my head shaved my mistake... My roomie got hers done, and I was there to get a trim... Hairdreser didn't speak English... Thought I wanted the same thing....and the clippers went flying... All good, I ended up liking it.
                      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                      X