This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Month of suck

This month has been the month of suck. Seriously, I have NEVER had so many sucky customers (or non-customers) in a row.

First there was the guy who kept trying to lowball me and be my "furiend", then there was the genius who failed at money management, (And he still hasn't paid me a penny more since that post.) And then the ridiculous drama over two lousy bucks and now today...

Well, today I had something happen that I've heard about many times, but never had anybody with the gall to pull it on me until now.

I'm sitting at the keyboard, contemplating a much-needed nap, when I see I have a new e-mail. And lo! It's somebody who says he wants to buy a costume! Excellent! The down payment on it would give me just enough to make rent this month! Glee! Joy! Happiness! So I reply, and tell him I would be happy to make his costume.

My reply includes the information that the particular sort of costume he wants usually costs $900, although depending on the details and features of his character, it may be slightly more than that.

He responds and asks if I have AIM. (Le sigh. I really don't like using IMs, but so many of my customers insist on it. And I really could use this commission, so fine, whatever.) So I log into AIM to talk to this yahoo.

The first thing he says is that he has $600 to spend.

The first thing I think is "What, do you not know how to read? I already told you this will be $900 or more." But I'm trying to be polite, so I tell him that I'm sorry, that's too little, and I'm afraid he'll have to pay the full price or go elsewhere. (I mean seriously! If he'd offered me $850 I'd have taken it, but $600? That's completely ridiculous! I cannot afford to take a 33% pay cut!)

He responds and says that he has connections! He can advertise for me! He can get me tons of business! And he needs the costume in May.

I've heard a lot of artist friends complain about this one, the guy who wants to pay little or nothing, but think of all the exposure his project will get you! It'll more than make up for the lost money in advertising value! But I've never gotten one until now. Gotta say, I'm not exactly thrilled by the experience.

Anyhow, I'm biting my tongue on some really rude things, but I explain to him that May is what counts as a "rush job", I'm already booked full until June, and even if I could somehow make room for his project, which I cannot without breaking promises to customers who have already paid me full price for my work, I would charge more for that service, not less! So sorry, I can't help you. There are plenty of other people who can, good luck finding one.

But the advertising services he's offering me usually cost six thousand bucks, says he!

OMG! Six thousand bucks! I will totally take your word for that, though if your advertising services are so valuable, why can you not come up with the extra $300 needed here? (I didn't say that, but I sure thought it.)

And then as proof of this mysterious and strangely expensive advertising, he links me to a Japanese cosplay website. I honestly have idea what that was supposed to show me. I couldn't understand a word on the site, since I don't read Japanese.

So I told him one last time that no, I would not take his ridiculously cheap price, and no I don't need any advertising, I am actually quite well supplied on that front. Goodbye, good luck finding another maker, there are plenty more out there.

And I guess hope springs eternal, because he responded by telling me again that if I changed my mind and decided to "help" him (that's a great way to put it, I'll give you $300 worth of free work, while shoving aside my normal paying clients to get your stuff done on time, that's some "help" there) he could give me this mythical six thousand bucks worth of advertising, and it would totally be worth it.

I decided that I was so utterly through with this, and signed off to go take that nap.

The guy was fairly polite, and honestly he may not have been completely sucky, he probably was more clueless, but GAH that was frustrating. I could so use that commission, but there's just no way it's worth it to give such a ridiculous discount, even putting aside the whole rush job problem.

Oh and a bonus mini-suck. Yesterday I had a customer IM me first thing when I got online. "You're up earlier today than usual." AUGH CREEPER! If you're paying so much attention to my coming and going that you know my schedule, and you're NOT a friend, just a customer... that's just creepy. I mean, I've had way creepier, but I've started just leaving my IM off all the time now, because this really did kind of disturb me.
    Last edited by spark; 02-01-2011, 02:27 AM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

But. . . but. . . but the site's in Japanese! Clearly that's proof of his international connections!

Frankly, you were a lot nicer than I would have been. That bit about "If you're services are so expensive, why can't you come up the remainder of the money" would SO have been IMed.

Sorry things have gone so poorly for you this month. I hope you get that last commission you need.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

euch..

I can get someone saying "I've got a budget of $X, what can you do for me? if its lower than you can go then do you know someone else that might be able to do something? I'm more than willing to help promote your business with x, y and z connections I have if you're interested"

i mean, that would be polite, honest and lets you decide just what you want/don't want. I'd stay well away from people who want that much of a discount as who knows if they demand more of a discount part way along the making of the suit, never mind when it's finished...
      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        He responds and says that he has connections! He can advertise for me! He can get me tons of business! And he needs the costume in May.

I've heard a lot of artist friends complain about this one, the guy who wants to pay little or nothing, but think of all the exposure his project will get you! It'll more than make up for the lost money in advertising value! But I've never gotten one until now. Gotta say, I'm not exactly thrilled by the experience.
        I have a better deal. $900 for this costume. When you bring me $4,000 in referrals, you can have the next costume for $600

Quoth spark View Post
        But the advertising services he's offering me usually cost six thousand bucks, says he!

OMG! Six thousand bucks! I will totally take your word for that, though if your advertising services are so valuable, why can you not come up with the extra $300 needed here? (I didn't say that, but I sure thought it.)
        You should have said it.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
          euch..

I can get someone saying "I've got a budget of $X, what can you do for me?
          "...Lessee....for 600, I can either give you a basic solid-color/2-color body (no stripe or spots) OR a really detailed head. Pick one. A rush job will still cost you extra."
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I did at one point mention other options, but he showed no interest in any of them.
            The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

If I ever seriously get into selling hand made stuff (I have to see if I can seriously get my self to focus on making chain mail) I would probably be one of those people that flat out refuses to negotiate on prices.

Also, this is a good reason for having separate work and personal communication tools. I always make sure not to give my personal email out to people at work, they only get my work email.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                Oh and a bonus mini-suck. Yesterday I had a customer IM me first thing when I got online. "You're up earlier today than usual." AUGH CREEPER! If you're paying so much attention to my coming and going that you know my schedule, and you're NOT a friend, just a customer... that's just creepy.
                This actually seems a lot creepier than it is.

... either that, or I'm a lot creepier than I thought I was... >_>

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

... I can't think of any response to that that's not going to come off wrong, so I think I'm just not going to say anything.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    ... either that, or I'm a lot creepier than I thought I was... >_>
                    Tone on the internet is hard. I can't tell you how many posts I've decided against because on a second read through they sounded hella creepy.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                      If I ever seriously get into selling hand made stuff (I have to see if I can seriously get my self to focus on making chain mail) I would probably be one of those people that flat out refuses to negotiate on prices..
                      Making chainmail is a pain. I've done it. Made myself a chainmail purse.

Worth the effort to do once. Never again.

No wonder armor was so expensive.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                        Also, this is a good reason for having separate work and personal communication tools. I always make sure not to give my personal email out to people at work, they only get my work email.
                        This all WAS on my business IM/e-mail. It doesn't stop people from bringing up non-business topics, any more than it keeps customers in retail establishments from telling the cashier about their personal lives. A little polite, social chit-chat is to be expected, whether you're using a personal or a business mode of communication. Sadly people are not good with boundaries, and I can't even count the number of times somebody assumed friendship, just because we'd had a business transaction, and a few "how are you doing?" "fine thanks, you?" conversations.

Comment

I hate being pounced on the moment I come online. I know, I know, most comms programs do that 'so and so has just come online' thing. But I hate that, and will opt out of being signalled online if I possibly can.

Give me time to process old stuff, incoming PMs and such. Give me time to talk to the people I need to talk to. If you want contact with me, send a PM. I'll get to it, honest!

It just feels .. impatient and jog-my-elbow-ish. Not a cheerful greeting at all. I understand that most people who do it intend it to be cheerful and friendly. I just don't react that way.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            I hate being pounced on the moment I come online. I know, I know, most comms programs do that 'so and so has just come online' thing. But I hate that, and will opt out of being signalled online if I possibly can.
                            I actually set my default to be "invisible" when I first show up. That way, I can have me time, and still talk to people I really want to without having to worry about my chattier friends all chime in at once.

Of course, I'm not really one to talk, since for a lot of my IM friends, I am the one to do the "hiya pounce," as it were.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                              I've heard a lot of artist friends complain about this one, the guy who wants to pay little or nothing, but think of all the exposure his project will get you! It'll more than make up for the lost money in advertising value!
                              I used to get hours of entertainment in a former office, listening to my idiot coworker call businesses up[1], to try and get them to do stuff for a house he was building, basically asking them to do it for free, and he was going to advertise the house as a "showcase house," so they would get loads of free advertising. Services from the studs, out. Oh and while you're at it, the studs. And regrading the lot. So, everything. KTHXBAI.

And yet he was shocked that he couldn't get anyone interested in this <blink>Fabulous Opportunity.</blink>[2] I'm sure if the very notion wasn't enough to turn the prospective victims off at the speed of light, the fact that he sounds as dumb as a box of rocks over the phone (and not much better in person) did. I would have loved to hear the conversations on the other end after those phone calls ended. "Maude, guess what this idiot wanted!"

[1] making the phonecalls on company time, and yes, literally, it was hours of entertainment over the course of a few months. Don't get me started.
                              [2] imagine annoying blinking text here, for the full effect of his enthusiasm for the project.
                              Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                              At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                              X