Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I know, but I tend to use similar examples to what she and I are doing because it works out for the artist too. I am paying her almost the full price she would charge, but she's never sold an item before so I'm letting her figure out how much she thinks she should charge too. (Does that make sense? I didn't sleep last night so I'm fuzzy today)
    The only person that's asked for portfolio pieces for free from me has been my mum, and it's easy for me to shoot her down by showing her the receipt from my wrist braces+painkillers I have to buy every six months or so because of how rough my sewing can be. My husband gets stuff to put in the car for free, but that's a little bit different.
    Maybe it's different because I work with smaller scale plushies too, I don't really know.
    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Absolutely understand! I think it can differ from artisan trade to trade, people's attitudes based on things. For tangible pieces like plushies vs intangible pieces of digital artwork to be printed in books or on book covers, there's a world of difference on how some clients or potential clients might treat us.

But either way, there are jerks -prost-

PS, watching you on blogspot.

Comment

Sweet That means I have to update my blog now!
        Yeah, I bet there would be a difference. I know that's part of why my brother's gf/fiancee switched from graphic design, although she always wanted to make jewelry.

I think we should make the jerks make their own items! Or make them for each other.
        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
          "But, we figure these would be good portfolio pieces for you so we're not prepared to offer compensation"

F you! Next please
          *Snort* Awesome

Just curious -- by "portfolio piece", I take it they're talking about the sort of stuff that one would carry in a professional portfolio, e.g., to take wh=ith you when applying for a job...? If so, I would say that some of the best ones to use for that are the ones the people actually PAID decent money for (and allowed you to use, unless you hang on to the copyright)!

These twits just want something for nothing. The "something" you offer them (in your Quote above) is more than they even deserve.
          Last edited by EricKei; 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Just curious -- by "portfolio piece", I take it they're talking about the sort of stuff that one would carry in a profession portfolio, e.g., to take wh=ith you when applying for a job...? If so, I would say that some of the best ones to use for that are the ones the people actually PAID decent money for (and allowed you to use, unless you hang on to the copyright)!

These twist just want something for nothing. The "something" you offer them (in your Quote above) is more than they even deserve.

Bingo!

They mean that by doing work for them, I'll have more stuff to show to people that would *gasp* actually want to PAY me. Yet, I could do that on my own time anyway, or utilize school projects if they're up to date... or I could do challenges from old briefs for the companies I want to work for (ie. Wizards of the Coast). The D&D art director puts them up quite a bit as examples of what they want to see. Btw, usually a great deal of companies allow you to retain printing rights so you can sell your own work online/at conventions etc

Yes. Bottom line, they want something for nothing. Here's another good site for you crafty types:

http://www.clientsfromhell.net

PS: I haven't shown Wizards my portfolio yet. I feel i must improve first.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
              I'm talking more along the lines of random people on DeviantArt wanting to hire me as the lead artist on an indie video game project or an indie RPG project that they don't even know will get off the ground.
              I'm the lead artist in one of those - and working for free.

Difference is, the programmers are my beloveds: we all know exactly how much work each other is putting in, and if it ever does get off the ground and become something, we share in the profits (HA!) equally.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                I'm the lead artist in one of those - and working for free.

Difference is, the programmers are my beloveds: we all know exactly how much work each other is putting in, and if it ever does get off the ground and become something, we share in the profits (HA!) equally.
                Oh, of course! You guys have a mutual understanding. I'm currently working on a project with a friend myself.

Comment

Working...
                X