X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I got a book about the CIA."

...wut?

SC: "I subscribed to your mailing list, but, I'm receiving too much email, so I want to stop it."
    Me: [No suck at this point; it happens from time to time.] "That's no problem at all; I've removed your address from the list. The change takes effect immediately."
    SC: "But, I still want to know about the latest news."
    Me: "Okay, I can set you up with what we call our 'digest' mailing list. It's a summary of all the news from the past week."
    SC: "That's still too much mail. I just won't have time to read it all."
    Me: "Well, I'm afraid we only have the two options to offer you. What exactly would you like us to do?"
    SC: "..."
    Me: "..."
    SC: "..." [Seems like she hasn't though this through.]
    SC: "...couldn't you just call me every night and tell me about everything that happened during the day?"
    Me: "...wut?"

Upon further questioning, I discovered she was ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS.

I thought it was funny.

SC: "Hello. This is 1872421 calling."
    Me: "Uh--" [account number search] "--ok, may I call you Sarah, or do you prefer Ms. 1872421?"
    SC: "..."

The customers totally do not appreciate my sense of humor.

Different customer, same story.

SC: "Hello, I would like to order [product]."
    Me: "Certainly, may I start with your first and last name please."
    SC: "...could I just give you my account number instead?"
    Me: "Sure."
    SC: "It's 1895457."
    Me: "Ok, I--"
    SC: "It's easier that way."

I have come to the conclusion that all those companies that did advertising about how customers are "more than just a number" have totally taken the wrong approach.

Thank you, Amazing Kreskin!

SC: "Hello. I have called your phone."

NO WAY!! Like, REALLY!?

You are far too excited to be a user of our product.

Me: "Good morning. My name is Mango."
    SC: "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Mango! How do ye do and how do ye do and how do ye do and howdoyedoandhowdoyedoandhowdedoanhowdedoanhowdedo??!?!?!?!?

Tell "ye" what, we're just going to go ahead and reduce your Espresso intake by FIVE THOUSAND MILLILITRES PER DAY.

Rigorous Questioning

SC: "Do you know about the CIA?"
    Me: "I guess so,"
    SC: "The CIA is spying on everyone, you know!"
    Me: "Is that a fact?"
    SC: "Oh yes. They have agents in every city and we're all under surveillance. This is against our constitutional rights!"
    Me: "Really."
    SC: "They watch every move we make. And they record it all. They have files on each one of us going back years!"
    Me: "Uh-huh."
    SC: "Next week they're going to start spraying biochemicals in our air. OUR AIR!!"
    Me: "That is very interesting. I just have one question."
    SC: "Yes?"
    Me: "What does CIA stand for?"
    SC: "Oh, it stands for, you know, CI, uh, C, uh, Canadian I American, uh, um..."
    SC: [click]
    Me:

I always did believe the best confirmation of someone's knowledge of a subject is if they could withstand rigorous questioning.

Ah, but did the book say what it stands for?

SC: "I got a book about the CIA."
    Me: "Oh?"
    SC: "I recommend you read it."
    Me: "What's it called?"
    SC: "It's called Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA."
    Me: "Can you hold it up?"
    SC: "Huh?"
    Me: "Hold it up." [search Amazon.com] "Oh, I see; it has a red cover?"
    SC: [slams down phone!]
    Me:

I've labeled this individual "SC" but she only calls to annoy us and isn't an actual customer. I would NEVER say this sort of thing to a real customer. Probably. Maybe.

Offended website is offended.

Dear customer, I see that you have returned an order form by postal mail. That is fine. That is what we send them out for. I also see that you have vehemently crossed out every mention of our website, and also written on the bottom of the form in big letters "SOME OF US DO NOT HAVE, NOR WANT, A COMPUTER."

May I ask: what did a website ever do to you?

Fulfillment by Rumor

I have a customer who has ordered and paid for some of our products. He has given me:
    - His buzzer number (not relevant for addressing purposes)
    - His suite number
    - The city

I need his street address. I have asked him for this. He took seven days to respond.

He has in fact sent me his suite number again.

I am NOT shipping something to "Frank, Suite 118, Surrey."

Woah. I reread Gravekeeper's story moments AFTER I wrote this story. Frank apparently does get around.

I always did believe the best confirmation of someone's knowledge of a subject is if they could withstand rigorous questioning.
    heh. that also works well for people who lie about their military service.

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
      SC: "...couldn't you just call me every night and tell me about everything that happened during the day?"
      Me: "...wut?"

Upon further questioning, I discovered she was ABSOLUTELY SERIOUS.
      Maybe she's really lonely.

But more likely, she'd scream at the caller, "Can't you people just leave me alone!"

Quoth Mango View Post
      Rigorous Questioning

Me: "What does CIA stand for?"
      SC: "Oh, it stands for, you know, CI, uh, C, uh, Canadian I American, uh, um..."

Yes, but water boarding is illegal.

Ah, but did the book say what it stands for?

SC: "I got a book about the CIA."
      Me: [/quote]

Probably thought you meant Mao's little red book

Quoth Mango View Post
      Woah. I reread Gravekeeper's story moments AFTER I wrote this story. Frank apparently does get around.
      So does Vic apparently. I think that's who your CIA caller is
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Believe it or not, my CIA caller is in fact not Vic. There's more than one of them.

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
          Believe it or not, my CIA caller is in fact not Vic. There's more than one of them.
          I bet he'd really flip his lid if you told him his UNCLE was watching him.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Or S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              Or S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
              Now that would create K.A.O.S.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                Oh, you are most definitely my hero. I will have your babies for you.

Comment

I'm afraid that Mangosteen has already taken care of that, but thank you for offering.

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                    Rigorous Questioning

SC: "Do you know about the CIA?"
                    Me: "I guess so,"
                    Me: "Is that a fact?"
                    SC: "Oh yes. They have agents in every city and we're all under surveillance. This is against our constitutional rights!"
                    Not at all, the CIA just likes to party!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                      Only if they do not actually live in the US, CIA is only [theoretically] allowed to mess about outside our borders. Now if they claim the FBI has files, that is believable. I happen to have an FBI file on me
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Are you working alongside Gravekeeper? Or are you just getting his surplus customers?

Love the one SC's clarification of CIA: "... uh, C, uh, Canadian I American, uh, um..."

How'd we get in there??

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                          .SC: "It's called Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA."
                          Me: "Can you hold it up?"
                          SC: "Huh?"
                          Me:
                          Now THAT is a classic!

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          Only if they do not actually live in the US, CIA is only [theoretically] allowed to mess about outside our borders. Now if they claim the FBI has files, that is believable. I happen to have an FBI file on me
                          Oh, of COURSE the CIA doesn't spy on American citizens living in the U.S. That would be ILLEGAL, and the CIA would NEVER do anything like THAT!

As for the FBI, I am relatively sure they have a file on me, too, from my college days. I protested a few things. Come to think of it, the CIA probably has a file on me, too. Even though I've only ever been to one foreign country. Call it a hunch.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Not at all, the CIA just likes to party!
                            I thought of this song as well before clicking the topic. Just didn't know how to integrate it.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                              I am NOT shipping something to "Frank, Suite 118, Surrey."
                              That explains it. Anyone who's spent time in the Greater Vancouver Area will know what I mean.

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Oh, of COURSE the CIA doesn't spy on American citizens living in the U.S. That would be ILLEGAL, and the CIA would NEVER do anything like THAT!
                              And don't forget - the computer is your friend. Believing otherwise is treason. You don't want to commit treason, do you, citizen?
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X