Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd children's names (odd names of children, not names of odd children to clarify)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never understood 'Nevaeh" (heaven backwards). In Black Masses, the cross is hung upside down, prayers are said backwards, the host is black instead of white etc...so isn't turning 'heaven' backwards making it Satanic?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      I've never understood 'Nevaeh" (heaven backwards). In Black Masses, the cross is hung upside down, prayers are said backwards, the host is black instead of white etc...so isn't turning 'heaven' backwards making it Satanic?
      I always thought that too.

My little sister was once friends with a girl named Cinderella. It's not that horrible, I know, but it makes me think they had her so she could be a maid.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
        Also pay attention to initials. I'd really liked the name Patricia Marie if I'd had a girl (which I didn't so it was never an issue.) The reason this could have been an issue is that my last name begins with the letter S.
        I worked with someone with those intitials. She always used all three when she had to initial receipts.

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
        Spelling traditional names incorrectly was also quite popular.
        My best friend and her sister both gave their kids very traditional names (all named after family members). Her brother and SIL went with "Ayden." That kid will be forever spelling his name for people.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
        Billy for a girl sounds dead Southern.
        I had an aunt named Billie. She was from Arkansas.

Quoth dawnfire View Post
        my son has a girl in his year level called Sydney. It came to my notice when they tried to put her into an all boys class. (needless to say that go remedied before classes started).
        Bet she won't complain if she accidentally gets put into an all boys dorm at summer camp... :P
        My roommate for freshman orientation in college was a guy (named Jamie). His dad wasn't there so he just slept in the room his mom was in rather than making them scramble to find him a new roommate. It was funny, though. (I was just relieved that they didn't think mine was a guy's name - it's only one letter off from being one!)

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        I did want to name my kids unique and strong names so I went with Chelsea, Leah and Molly.
        My cousin has a Molly. She's three tomorrow (May 5). Now we call the day Cinqo de Molly. (They did a whole Mexican-themed party for her first birthday. I can only imagine what they'll do when she turns 5!)

Quoth mathnerd View Post
        Even if it's a common name, that can happen. My middle son has a name that, while not as common as John or Andrew, is still common enough. The trouble is that it has two common spellings.
        My brother is Bryan. People spell it Brian all the time.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        There are two ways to spell my youngest sister's name. Back when she worked retail, a customer once looked at her nametag and told that her name was spelled wrong.
        I once got "That's an odd name," with a haughty sniff. I was just like, "Um, thank you?" I mean, seriously, what do you say to that?

Oh, and I grew up being called "Alien." Thanks, mom. (I like my name now but as a kid I hated it.)
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I can never hear your name without hearing the Polarkreis 18 song
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

My landlord's son and daughter-in-law live down the street from us. Their names are Kelly and Lee. Hubs had to explain to me that Kelly was the guy and Lee was the girl (though I'm assuming it's actually spelled Leigh).
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

We have friends who will be getting married soon. They will be Sam R. and Sam R. That will be fun...
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

... They will be Sam R. and Sam R. That will be fun...
                Especially the argument over which one is Sam's R's...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We have them distinguished as Sam and Sam's Sam since we have known Sam for longer and so Sam's Sam is an extra addition as it were....

Comment

I knew a male Tracy growing up. Nice guy, but it was a rural town and there were also two girls named Trac(e)y (different spellings) in our age group. I suspect he had to learn to fight rather young.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      I knew a male Tracy growing up. Nice guy, but it was a rural town and there were also two girls named Trac(e)y (different spellings) in our age group. I suspect he had to learn to fight rather young.

MY NAME IS SUE.

HOW DO YOU DO.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Am I the only one here who thinks it would actually be quite cute to give my son were I to have one a girly name like Laura or Rachel? :P

Oh it is just me? OK then..... *moves away*

Comment

Oh it is just me? OK then..... *moves away*
                          Don't bother. We've already moved *FAR* away.

Rapidly.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I used to work with a woman who named her daughters Sydney, Raleigh and Brooklyn because she had a 'city theme' going.

No one had the heart to tell her that Brooklyn is not a city, but a borough.
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

My son had girls in his class named Precious, Zene, and Khadidiatou. Other names I've heard: Mimzy, Mordecai, and Zaiden. My friend also has a nephew with the middle name Havok.

Comment

My stepsister's initials are V.D. My cousin has an old biblical name: Mahlon. He goes by Mike.
                                Last edited by Food Lady; 05-06-2015, 03:26 AM.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X