This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh* dating drought

I don't even want to think how long it' s been since I've been on a date. Granted a lot of my life doesn't lend itself to meeting potential guys and some of that is my fault. So I'm doing the PlentyOfFish thing. Ebbs and flows, sometimes I email a bunch and sometimes I don't check it for a week or two.

It's free, so you do get what you pay for. There are few decent profiles out there. But I emailed a bunch last night including two that really stood out. One already wrote back (the one I was a little more interested in hearing back from) and he's in a new relationship. Nothing back from the others. The other one in the top two has read my email. I'm not stressed that I haven't heard back, more just disenchanted with the whole process.

And then you get the *derrr* emails. No punctuation or grammar to speak of and either generic "hey ur picktures are sexxy" things or a comment about my "Fairy Gothmother" Halloween costume - where they misidentify it as "Fairy Godmother" or say something about wearing it in public for something everyday - read the caption for the photo, I beg you! I have resisted the temptation to snap back at the idiots though.

It's just all so depressing and tough. Its hard to make it out there and I think the more you're out of it, the harder it is. I don't know what the solution is. I've done the Match thing (slightly better quality because it's not free) and the eHarmony thing (one good friend and a lot of flops out of their service). Money is tight now though and I just think I'd be throwing it away again.

Not looking for advice, really. The best thing to do I already know - "Get out there and meet people" is hard but I do try when I can. There isn't really anyone that could set me up with anyone either. Just a venting/unburdening.

I know exactly how you feel. I've never really been a "dater" and my last relationship ended 3 years ago. I've never done the online-dating thing...I'm a little wary, I suppose, and I don't want to spend the money. I've surfed OK Cupid a bit but never signed up. My roommate is on Match and Yahoo Personals and she's met a few guys since we've been living together (a year and a half) but nothing serious. I do know a couple who met on Yahoo personals who got married last summer, and one of my roomie's best friends met her husband online, as well. It doesn't help that I'm a bit of a homebody, either...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think we should start a service for homebody bookworms.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
        Now that's what I need! Though lately I'm spending a lot more time on the computer than with my books. I've been reading the same book for almost 3 weeks now...and it's my second try for this one, too (granted, it's The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins, which is a good 3 inches thick and a bit dense in places). My first try I borrowed it from the library and had to return it before I really even got into it.
        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 04-30-2009, 01:35 AM.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I know what you mean, Reyneth. I met BT on mingle2. Things aren't working out, but I'd go back online again. I've considered eharmony/match...maybe later.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I personally have had better luck on my own rather than being set up by other people. I know most people mean well and are just trying to help, but some of the guys I have been set up with......ye gads. That's all.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Droughts happen. They do. Lord knows I know that. My dating disasters and droughts have been all too well documented on this site (my own fault--I have the right to remain silent, just not the ability), but throughout my life, when I was least looking for something, or when I was looking somewhere else, something sprang up out of the blue.

After a disastrously dry 2008, women have been seemingly falling out of the sky this year for me, with mixed results, and frankly, while on vacation, I had a bit of a shocking surprise and, if I actually lived here in Phoenix again, I dare say I would have a new girlfriend. (Another story for another time.)

My point is, don't stress. Vent, knock yourself out. But remember, when you least expect it............

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...1&postcount=46

Rapscallion

Comment

i cruised the OKcupid site after a friend recommended it to me but i guess she had more luck finding women than i did men because the men were scary ugly and/or obviously single for a reason.

i havent had much luck either in the dating game - online or "IRL" either.

Comment

Am I the only one here who met his last bf on manhunt.net?
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

manhunt.net you say? That sounds kind of kinky.....I'm picturing men with spears, bows and arrows and animal hide cloth covering their packages.

Back on topic....I met my current bf at a bar of all places. Picked him out all by myself and started talking to him. He didn't seem interested, so I walked away and pouted....but had a few drinks in me and decided to try once more and invited him to a party my friends and I were going to. He agreed and even danced with me. The rest is history.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My current boyfriend and I met at work (I no longer work there). He started talking to me (I have no game, so I avoid cute guys), and asked me to hang out. I had the BIGGEST crush on him.

So we hung out, and things happened.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          I'm picturing men with spears, bows and arrows and animal hide cloth covering their packages.
                          Is that a problem?
                          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I too am in the dating drought. I don't have the time to go out and meet a guy. Most days I am grading papers or writing lessons while checking email. I have friends I haven't seen or talked to in weeks.

Comment

I didn't mean a forum, I meant BookStoreEscapee and I should start our own business. You know, to make money and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X