Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Ceir View Post
    ... but...for fhtagn's sake why?
    Because someone has the notion that if they don't change something, they are not doing their job. It is very annoying, especially when they change something that worked perfectly fine before.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Ceir, I don't get it either. Are the web designers bored, or...?
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Sometimes that slight visual change is not even the major part of the update. There may be a lot of code changes going on, on the back end, but if they push out an update with nothing the end user can see as an update, they sometimes get annoyed at an update being pushed out "for no reason." Hence, little visual changes here and there.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          Sometimes that slight visual change is not even the major part of the update. There may be a lot of code changes going on, on the back end, but if they push out an update with nothing the end user can see as an update, they sometimes get annoyed at an update being pushed out "for no reason." Hence, little visual changes here and there.
          Especially with stylesheet tools and things like FontAwesome.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• A very specific, very weird bit of nostalgia, and/or making myself feel old: man, there was a time when walking into Taco Bell with ten bucks meant you came back L-O-A-D-E-D...
            Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
            They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Quoth Ceir View Post
              A very specific, very weird bit of nostalgia, and/or making myself feel old: man, there was a time when walking into Taco Bell with ten bucks meant you came back L-O-A-D-E-D...
              I remember Arctic Circle having hamburgers for 19¢. 5 for 95¢
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Apparently Mickey D's in our town used to have weekly specials on cheeseburgers--something like two for a dime. My folks, being starving students at the time, would buy as many as they could afford, and freeze them.

I guess that's why I view their plain cheeseburger as a comfort food, though I don't really remember having them all the time.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• More fast food thoughts. Boneless hot wings are the adult-oriented version of chicken nuggets, and I'm okay with that.

Comment

• Double post, double thought tax for the necro.

Thought A: because the rerun channels on my broadcast TV love CSI, NCIS, and their ilk, I idly wondered if any of the CSI lines ever did a crossover episode with their own sibling series - I know NCIS crossed over with JAG a couple times, but I didn't know if CSI ever did. Lo and behold, what's on tonight but the Miami/New York crossover. Answers that question.

Thought B: if I ever own a van or camper, damn right it's gonna be plastered with space wizard murals and stuff, and the hell with resale value.

Comment

• Triple post, tax paid with three things.

Couple friends and I were discussing this the other day. If you just heard it out of the blue in the world, with no appropriate context like a convention or anything, which of these classic sound effects would make you most go "well I have Concerns":
                      Transporter?
                      Tardis?
                      Ecto-1 siren?

Comment

• Quoth Ceir View Post
                        Triple post, tax paid with three things.

Couple friends and I were discussing this the other day. If you just heard it out of the blue in the world, with no appropriate context like a convention or anything, which of these classic sound effects would make you most go "well I have Concerns":
                        Transporter?
                        Tardis?
                        Ecto-1 siren?
                        Probably the Ecto-1 siren. Having grown up on 50s and 60s scifi movies, the ones that used a theremin for sound effects, I am used to the other sounds.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Had a conversation with a friend at work today, and we came to a startling conclusion.

Of the classic Looney Tunes main characters we could think of, Marvin the Martian is the only one who - given sufficient motivation and the actual ability to do so - would actually swear. Not often, or blatantly, or prodigiously, but exactly and to great effect; what TVTropes dubs the "precision F-bomb".

Not Daffy or Yosemite Sam, they're blustering hotheads full of rapid-fire agitation that blows out as quickly as they're launched off-screen. Not Sylvester or Elmer Fudd, they have the frustration, but they're not frustrated enough to cross the line. Anyone else is too laid-back, goofy, innocent, or kind-hearted (yes, even Bugs the trickster god).

But Marvin - Marvin goes the other way. He's just cool-headed, calculating, and capable of enough negative emotion to be the one to drop the one very quiet, very precise, very just-in-the-background "...oh, shit" in the movie. And he's the only one that could pull it off.

(And you just read that in his voice, too.)

Comment

• A thing that never fails to make me smile: the fact that when not in flight, small birds look like they're moving in stop motion.

Comment

• (Prompted by a very odd and long wandering conversation with a close friend of mine--)

I was really happy to learn, back in my late teens, that I could do things to someone I cared for that made them feel so good that it shut their brain down temporarily...
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• /\ If any ladies would like to show that they can replicate this, I would be very happy to act as a guinea pig for them...
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X