The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    from my understanding last years the reps and senators AND the Supream Court will not let our Governor do a mask mandate again
    That's why I call it the Stupidpreme Court.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• We've had to start imposing some quantity limits on items again, but not for the same reason as last year. There's a pretty big (over 1 million square feet) warehouse in a nearby county that recently shut down for a week due to an outbreak. They don't supply us, but they supply a lot of restaurants and restaurant supply stores in the area, and even though they're now back up and running they're quite backlogged, so a lot of restaurants that are used to getting direct deliveries or going to a supply store, and don't have CostMo memberships, are trying to resupply their restaurants from us.

Yesterday, we had to say no to someone who wanted to buy our entire supply of iceberg lettuce. Meanwhile, another store bought out our entire supply of canned nacho cheese. Pretty much anything that can be used as a substitute for a disposable takeout tray is long gone. We had a taco truck bleed us dry of dried chili peppers. One merchant somehow got his hands on a six-wheeler (which are not intended for customer use) and rolled into a checkstand with probably about 30 or 40 packages of frozen chicken legs.

The store manager has us informing anyone trying to make purchases like that that they need to do a special order instead of just trying to clear out our shelf.
      Last edited by Smapti; 08-15-2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Haha our freezer always looks like we are prepared for the apocalypse. I just had to rearrange the meats to fit them all in the bottom drawer. We have those slide out drawers in the freezer and I hate them. We thought we'd run into TP problems again because of that freighter that got stuck and other supply issues but we have been fine because all three of us bought it at the same time and Costco still had it a couple of weeks ago. I have cleaned a shelf or peg on occasion but it was something like an eyebrow pencil I couldn't find anywhere else or something that wasn't really a very necessary item like paper goods or some kind of food.

I cannot find a rapid Covid test anywhere for today. Supposed to get my 2nd shot tomorrow evening and I figured I should get tested since they say Delta is runny nose, headache, etc. I mean....this could (lolz I spelled that "cold" initially) very well be August allergies which have been dogging me for 2 years. And the headaches are migraines which I totally expect the last week of the month. The nausea the other night was a migraine warning. I'm 90% sure it's existing issues but there's that nagging 10%. Just took allergy meds to see if it responds to that. I guess I could take time off work tomorrow to get a rapid test because my vax appt. is 7:15 pm. Not sure what I'm going to do. I have felt exactly this way in July and August since at least 2019, possibly 2018 (don't remember).

Comment

• Also keep in mind that the smoke from the west coast fires is making it across the country now and it can cause the same kind of symptoms

Comment

• Quoth Arcus View Post
            Also keep in mind that the smoke from the west coast fires is making it across the country now and it can cause the same kind of symptoms
            yup can confirm allergie type symptons but then again our area got a LOT of rain in the last couple of weeks and the mold count is VERY high
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• I stepped into the elevator at my apartment building and found another tenant (male) already there. Both of us were masked. A few floors down a woman got in. She was not masked, but hastily clapped her hand over her mouth.

We got to discussing the ... "unspecified virus of unknown origin" to quote a particular YouTuber ... and Masked Man was saying "Oh well, we're both masked ... and I've been vaccinated!" I said that so was I.

And somehow it came to be understood that Masked Man believes that ... the vaccine renders you completely immune.

Oh, he says, you can still pass it along, but ...

Unmasked Woman and I spent nearly ten minutes trying to drum it into his head that no, being vaccinated does not give you some kind of magical shield. I pointed out that getting a measles vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting measles, it just means you get a milder version.

"But ... then why bother getting vaccinated??"

Finally, somehow, Unmasked Woman actually got through to him. I think.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                I stepped into the elevator at my apartment building...
                Unmasked Woman and I spent nearly ten minutes trying to drum it into his head that no, being vaccinated does not give you some kind of magical shield.
                Egads, man, how long was that elevator ride?

Is your apartment located in scenic downtown Moria?
                Last edited by Smapti; 08-19-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• My allergy symptoms got a bit better. The only vax side effect I had was a sore arm. I did get a massive headache on Tuesday but I know for sure that was work stress related. My blood pressure goes up enough and I'll get a tension headache or migraine. I can pinpoint it to the hour.
                  I'm disappointed I didn't get the fever, chills, lethargy, whatever else. I feel like my immune system said "Eh, I don't feel like fighting." But it must be good; I so rarely get sick. When I do I'm such a baby about it because I'm just appalled.

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    "But ... then why bother getting vaccinated??"
                    I've seen an analogy with an umbrella. While carrying an umbrella, you can still get wet if you walk through a puddle or a car drives through a nearby puddle or the rain is just that heavy.

"But ... then why bother carrying an umbrella??"

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post

Luckily we didn't get a Balrog trying to get in ...

Sorry, I didn't even catch that omission. We were standing in the lobby for the majority of that debate.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post

I was thinking of the Unseen University tower in Ankh-Morpork, but then I remembered it doesn't have an elevator, only 8888 steps.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          I was thinking of the Unseen University tower in Ankh-Morpork, but then I remembered it doesn't have an elevator, only 8888 steps.
                          ... of ~1.08" rise. Or maybe it's an Escheresch 8-fold way. Would the Librarian have reference to 8^8^8^8^8^8^8^8 books through L-Space? And shouldn't Hex be programmed in Octal?
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                            ... of ~1.08" rise. Or maybe it's an Escheresch 8-fold way. Would the Librarian have reference to 8^8^8^8^8^8^8^8 books through L-Space? And shouldn't Hex be programmed in Octal?
                            Considering the ... issues that arise when wizards (or wizzards) speak That Number, programming a magical computer in Octal would probably be a Very Bad Idea.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Considering the ... issues that arise when wizards (or wizzards) speak That Number, programming a magical computer in Octal would probably be a Very Bad Idea.
                              Some mention about the 'Sender of ...7 + 1' and a creature that makes one wish it were merely hordes of hideous somethings from the Dungeon Dimensions instead.

Comment

• Latest news from DK: as of September 10th, there will be no pandemic alert and the whole country is open without any mandates expect international travel (where mask mandates and proof of vaccinations and/or negative tests + isolation will still be in order). Our cases have dropped from 800-1000 to 400-600 daily during last week, and our vaxx rate is 75% at the moment (but gub'mint is hoping to get the rate up to 90% in the next 3 weeks).
                                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X