This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the new sexy thing to act dumb?

Heres my question: Is it the new sexy fad to be/act dumb? I swear from the girls I see,it is. They all come in and have that paris hilton baby or valley girl voice,and they all act helpless too.One overheard conversation: OMG what are pumpkin seeds?Her friend: I think they are the inside of pumpkins,I think?

Another girl with her boyfriend:OMG I have no idea whats going on in the world.I should buy a NYT,but I don't want to read.

Girl with multiple friends:OMG look at these caffeine drinks.I don't drink these they are bad for you,I just drink diet coke.

Another girl with boyfriend.OMG I don't know which gum to pick,I'm so confused.

The saddest had to be from the girl that asked me if the endangered species candy bars had the animal on the package grounded up in it?
    The profit from the candy bars(just for info) goes to protect a endangered species habitat.

What the hell is wrong with the girls nowadays.Its not cute or sexy.If I'm reading the NYTs and they ask something about it and I start to tell them..they are all

Oh before you think I'm kidding I really do hear OMG from all these girls

OMG, like uh, totally, yeah.

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
      The saddest had to be from the girl that asked me if the endangered species candy bars had the animal on the package grounded up in it?

Mmmmmmm... Panda Bars!

Comment

I never understood the whole "act dumb" thing either. My husband frequently tells me he's so glad I have a brain. I enjoy being a nerdy chick, thankyouverymuch.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I had some customers a little bit ago, about 16 - 18'ish. One didn't talk, but the other one was none stop talking and everything she said started with "Oh my god Danesha..." (I guess her friends name).

"Oh my god Danesha this is so cute"
          "Oh my god Danesha come look at this"
          "Oh my god Danesha this coupon isn't good for today"

...so on and so on...
          wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
          ----
          Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Another girl with her boyfriend:OMG I have no idea whats going on in the world.I should buy a NYT,but I don't want to read.
            Funny, in college I got the absolute opposite from one of the foreign exchange students.

I was buying a copy of the local newspaper in the convenience store or bookstore and he came up behind me and was like "Why are you reading that stupid paper? You should read the New York Times, it's so much better."

Me:

I already had a copy of the Times waiting for me in my mailbox. I was required to sign up for a special student subscription for one of my classes. And I hardly ever read the thing. I just glanced at it. The local paper had enough information on the big national stuff for my purposes anyway.

Dork.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              I never understood the whole "act dumb" thing either. My husband frequently tells me he's so glad I have a brain. I enjoy being a nerdy chick, thankyouverymuch.
              I agree. I'd rather have a plain-looking intelligent woman than some beautiful airhead. I like being able to be able to have an intelligent conversation with the one you're with.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I have to admit, I can be pretty clueless.

I pride myself on being fairly "book smart" and intelligent in the more academic, routine ways. You wouldn't be able to tell if you followed me around for a day, though.

For instance, I was at the ice skating rink the other day and I was renting skates. When asked for my size, I stared blankly at the man behind the counter for a good ten seconds before inquiring as to whether or not the skate sizes were the same as shoe sizes.

I then proceeded to order a size to small, knowing that it was too small as the words left my mouth.

Wtf.

Comment

If thats the case it explains the number of guys lineing up at my door to take me out. *watches the tumbleweed rool by unmolested* Yup....any time now there will be a line of them...any time...

Comment

Acting the way they do just makes them look ignorant & then they get all bent out of shape when nobody takes them seriously.

Comment

I have to agree with the OP as well. Unfortunately, it's the way far too many girls act and a lot of guys totally fall for it. A lot of men are scared of women with brains and valid opinions (aka, opinions that go a little deeper than "OMG it sucks!")

But on the other hand, I get real tired of being judged by how I look. Because I'm blonde and like to look nice, some people think they need to speak slowly to me or think I'm retarded before I even open my mouth. But hey, I can put them in their place pretty quick.

I'm no Einstein, I wouldn't even call myself an intellectual...but I am not stupid...and I do not act stupid.

Well ok..the only time I act stupid is when I went to be left alone. And I only do this with my parents and coworkers. If I really don't care or don't want to hear it, I'll get this glazed look in my eye and try to appear "not all there"......and just trail off every response with "Whaaaa?"....hey it makes people leave you alone when you want to be
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Heres my question: Is it the new sexy fad to be/act dumb?
                        I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you, but for most of them it's not an act.

The majority of teens/young adults I run into are collectively only slightly more intelligent than a box of rocks. A very small box.

It is probably due, in part, to an entire life of being able to Google something if they didn't know the answer, rather than...you know...actually having to LEARN it.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Idiocracy?' I'm pretty sure we're almost there. I mean, people drink Vitamin Water just because Jennifer Aniston/Fiddy/whoever drinks it, and because, you know, it's got ELECTROLYTES and stuff. Duh.
                        "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                        -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

That's been going on forever. Back in 2001 I was chaperoning a boys' choir on a trip to Europe. The other chaperones were mostly parents and many had brought the boys' siblings along. There were two girls in particular, 15-16, who said the following brilliant things:

At the Coliseum: "Is this the Alamo?"

At the Sistine Chapel: "Did somebody famous paint this?"

And I seriously had to restrain myself when I saw one of the girls writing a letter and noticed she spelled 'me' as 'meh'.

Sad thing is, the vast majority of these girls are not stupid. They just saw Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson (who I believe are also not stupid) acting stupid and getting all sorts of attention for it.

Luckily another boy's sister was a geek girl too and we hung out together and made fun of those girls the whole trip.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                            Have you ever seen the movie 'Idiocracy?' I'm pretty sure we're almost there. I mean, people drink Vitamin Water just because Jennifer Aniston/Fiddy/whoever drinks it, and because, you know, it's got ELECTROLYTES and stuff. Duh.
                            But but.. BONDO'S got what PLANTS CRAVE!

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

EDIT: My massive rant was massively off topic, I just realized.

Girls acting this way does not mean the national average for intelligence is decreasing, please do not assume as much.

That was my rant, in a nutshell.

Girls act this way to let guys take control. Ironic, I feel.

I don't mind being intelligent, but I don't flaunt it. People who flaunt intelligence drive me crazy. I may not be book smart, but I'm pretty dang bright. I may have been perceived as dim before, I dunno.

I do agree that doing it on purpose is not cute and not attractive.
                              Last edited by Balgram; 09-17-2008, 03:40 AM.
                              If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X