Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it's because 'nian is easier to say than 'nan. If you try one, then the other a few times, 'nian does seem easier. To me anyway. But I always assumed it was Arizonan only because Arizona ends in 'na. Washington (where I'm from) I assumed Washingtonian was OK because since it ends in a consonant, you can apply to the end whatever is easier to say, which I guess is 'nian. I've never heard anyone say Washingtonan anyway.

Comment

• Quoth Jester View Post
      Cuba's staunch independence and resistance of any attempts of American takeover goes back decades before Castro was even born. And the USA hasn't added any sovereign nations to itself in a long, long time. They certainly weren't doing any such thing during the Cold War.
      Traditional thought on annexing Cuba was mainly around while it was still a colony of Spain. After the Spanish-American War, Cuba was an American territory from 1898 (the war) until 1902 when we granted it independence. From 1906, the US imposed a military governor on Cuba until again granting it self-rule (the governor being appointed because they were already having armed insurrections against the elected leadership even then).

So it's not entirely unfeasible that we'd have kept them, but I think we were content with just trying to keep an ally in power there. Then along came a reject from the MLB...

Comment

• Quoth cashierbex View Post
        The only one that truly makes sense is Californian.
        And once again, us Pennsylvanians are left out in the cold. Thanks a million there, yinz wanna kick my dog while you'ns are here?!
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

• As long as no one calls me or anyone from my state an Iowaian. I am an Iowan, or as I prefer, Iowa girl. Born, raised and lived here my whole life. Wait... how did this thread get so far off topic? Ha! Only in CS land!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

• Quoth Argabarga View Post
            And once again, us Pennsylvanians are left out in the cold.
            Yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing. Thanks cashierbex! As if we in PA don't have enough problems.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

• PA is far from my mind. Probably blocked it out cause of my dad. Blame him

Comment

• Well at least you aren't from Maine. Here in NB, our (sometimes playful) name for them is "Mainiacs" Otherwise I don't know what you'd call someone from Maine.

Strangely, hopping north of the border, Nova Scotia ends in the IA, and technically they are Nova Scotians, but the I rarely gets said; we usually just mush it all together as No-vah Sko-shan.

Comment

• They're Mainiacs all throughout New England. Just like Vermonters (or Vermonsters, depending on who is saying it) or Massholes (said lovingly, most of the time...).

Comment

• Quoth Seraph View Post
                    For the sake of what anonymity I have left, I'd rather not, lmao.

As for a thread update...I'm still not sure whether I've actually won or not. Neither the CC company OR Paypal seems to know, and they keep pointing to "go call the funding bank of the card".

That'd be helpful, if the card hadn't been a prepaid purchased and filled at a grocery store.

.......would that be the Bank of Sliced Bread, Aisle 1?
                    Those types of cards are still issued by a bank. The store is simply a processing location. If you know the store name you can contact the head office to find out the issuing bank. That said you should ask the CC company first. They should have that information already.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

• Quoth Shalom View Post
                      There is no state called "Arizonia", therefore there should not be any Arizonians. It would never have occurred to me to put that I in there.

On the other hand, we have Buffalonians. I lived in Buffalo, not Buffalonia. Where did that come from?
                      There is also no Canadia, but we have Canadians, not Canadans.

Though I do say "Canadialand" to my Canadian friends quite often.

Joke: How did Canada get its name?

They drew letters out of a hat!

"C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?"
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

• JF just threatened to go and shoot up his financial institution. Asked if it was what I wanted, I said no, heck no, triple no, please just calm down...and then he said nope, just going to shoot the place up.

Seriously, am calling them up right now about this.

EDIT: Have called, they're contacting security and investigating. I have no idea if he's serious, but knowing now that he does drugs (checked out his FB on a proxy, hooooly cow he does them), and that he's a trigger happy fella, figured it'd be best to be careful.
                        Last edited by Seraph; 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM.
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

• Quoth cashierbex View Post
                          The only one that truly makes sense is Californian.
                          What about Floridian? (noting cashierbex's location )

Comment

• Quoth siskaren View Post
                            States ending in ia was what I was talking about.
                            Florida does not

Floridan does sound ridiculous though

Comment

• Quoth siskaren View Post
                              I believe the proper term is "Floridiot." Or at least that's what Jester would have us believe.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• I like to say Floriduhs

Comment

Working...
                                X