Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: What is the most PROMINENT sign you have seen an SC ignore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright red letters, white background, backlit at night.

!!! DO NOT BACK UP !!!

SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE WILL RESULT

But it was instant gratification on my part when they refused to see this one.
    Last edited by bigjimaz; 04-25-2007, 06:10 AM.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

If we are particularly busy, we stop cashing checks because our bosses can't bring us money as fast as we are using it, and we darn near run out. One Thursday evening this happened, so we put a sign up that said "We're sorry, no check cashing" or something to that effect, at about waist level on the front of the counter. But people weren't seeing it, so we put four signs, one for each register, hanging off of the top of the register, so they were roughly eye level. They were written in permanent marker so you could see them from the edge of the service desk area. And STILL people were asking if they could cash checks, or stomping away when we couldn't cash them, or saying, "Can you just cash this one? It's little!" We even had people read the signs, leave the service desk, and then think that they could go to the regular registers and cash their checks there. My boss had to go around telling all of the cashiers (all 26 of them) not to cash checks either. Fun times.

And another annoyance is the "RESTROOM CLOSED FOR CLEANING. PLEASE USE RESTROOM IN LAYAWAY." They really should get new signs since "layaway" doesn't exist any more, but the layaway area is still where its always been, in the very back of the store. Customers will see the sign, go over to Customer Service, which has Customer Service painted on the wall above the entrance to it, and also with a sign hanging down in front as well. People are so dumb that not only do they wander to the wrong place looking for the bathroom, they will WALK PAST OUR COUNTER and back into our return area where they don't belong, trying to find the bathroom. They even try to open our accounting office door, which is very securely locked, or back into our storage closet, and be puzzled as to where the bathroom could possibly be. More often then not, once they are told to go to the back of the store, they decide it is too far to walk and whine about how they have to pee as they scamper away.

Comment

Not the largest sign but certainly lots of them.

When I was at a clothing store, we have a special on menswear - Buy 2 get a third free. We had A4 sized signs, back and front with "Buy 2 Menswear Items - Get the Third FREE!" on every single menswear rack in store, plus on the shelves above wall stock, plus at the counter.

We also had a huge banner in our window (we were in a mall so our window was angled into the doorway of the store so you couldn't enter the store without going past this window).

If I had a dollar for every clueless customer that brought two items to the counter, and when informed that they could get another item free would say "Oh thats a good deal. You should have a sign."

At least some of them looked embarassed when they realised there must have been about 30 signs.

Comment

Last week, I was in the movies.The movie theatre's doing some renovations, so the candy and popcorn shop has moved to another floor. Not only there are HUGE signs now telling people where to get their munchies, the site where the snack shop used to be is empty, ecxept for random building materials. No shelves or tills, there's little nothing else but mess.
          So, considering the signs and the chaos, it's pretty clear that you cannot buy anything from there, right? Nah, I heard one idiot , pointing to where the snack shop used to be, asking the security guy "Does this mean that I can't buy my candy here, then?".

Comment

"I could hardly find the gift store... you should have a sign!'

Ma'am, did the EIGHT-FOOT tall banner at the top of the escalatior NOT tip you off to our whereabouts?

But the most often ignored signs in our establishment are:

ENTRANCE

and

WAY OUT

I've actually given up NOT telling people which way they go after buying a ticket... after about 80 people a day turned the wrong way, opened a gate marked STAFF ONLY NO UNAUTHARRIZED PERSONS BEYOND THIS POINT and tried to call the service elevator. And as for the way out sign, it could be flashing blue neon with a brass band beside it, and people will still ignore it.

"But I came in over there!"
            "Yes, sir. We call that an entrance. We call THIS an exit. We call you a frickin' idiot. behind your back, of course."

I've put in many requests for cattle prods and sheep dogs to get people going the right way. No luck so far.
            Last edited by The Distorted Kwi; 04-25-2007, 08:10 AM. Reason: Brilliant misspelling od "Unaurthorized". I'm still not sure I have it right.
            Who elected me Grand Marshal of the Moron Parade today?

Comment

Each photocopier has this sign displayed on the top, on the side, on the wall above it, and on the cash box:

This photocopier does not give change.

SC: "I've put in all my money and it won't give me change! Waaaaaah!"
              Me non rogo, hic modo laboro.

Comment

Back when I was doing night shifts at the petrol station, I'd open the front door earlier then the woman who worked them during the week, which led to people going to the window first. To make their life easier, I decided to put a sign at roughly head height saying 'Door open' with an arrow pointing to the door. After the third customer that stood there staring blankly at this sign waiting for me to notice them and serve them I took the thing down. The other one they tended to ignore was 'We don't have a public toilet, nearest one 65 yards away'. All day all you'd get was 'Have you got a toilet?'

Dragonlover
                You have no idea how many ponchos can fit in a box- Me, after may first day at the warehouse

Comment

Okay, so I haven't actually seen these signs in the flesh, but they look temptingly like they get ignored a lot.
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

In convenience stores: The doors that say either PULL or PUSH, yet the customer does the opposite. Or, the doors that say ENTER and EXIT with no handles on the outside of EXIT, yet I have seen some people actually do this! Kind of like those who take it for granted that every door to any store they visit is automatic, and they walk right into it, suing the company afterward.

Target actually has this on their doors, ENTER in big, huge green letters, and EXIT on the other doors, in big huge red letters. You would think this would work, but it often does not.

Comment

That's hilarious, Juwl.

Working at the cafe, we had a huge sign sitting on an easel on the floor that said "PLEASE WAIT TO BE SEATED". I actually positioned it to obstruct the path of anyone who ignored it. But still I had people who would shove the whole damn easel out of the way and go sit their own asses down wherever they wanted. Idiots.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

When I worked at Quizno's we had signs hanging "Order Here" and "Pay Here" I don't know how many times people would walk to the "Pay" sign to order. At least once a day I bet. The manager threatened to bring it to eye level and make it flash.

I once saw a sign saying "We are not taking credit cards currently" Apparently it said Credit and Debit, as I found out when I got to the register holding my debit card. D'oh.

Coworker was telling me about a place that has numerous signs on the front door stating "Please use side door" with arrows pointing the way. The other day he saw a UPS driver knocking on the front door.

Comment

Outside the store we have two very large signs with our store's name on it; one above the entrance, one at the parking lot's entrace. Both are visible for quite a distance. Inside, we have over a hundred signs with our store's name on it.

We've been at this location for over two years, now.

...people still get our store's name wrong. Okay, so it's not the most catchy name ever, but come on!!
                          "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Because of the hoards of inconsiderate morons that rent non-smoking rooms just to smoke in them, we put warning signs in all the non-smoking rooms.

There are 4 signs in each room. One in the bathroom, and three in various spots in the guest room. We also have it on the registration that ALL guests sign when they check in.

The signs all give the same warning, that since this is a non-smoking room, smoking will be punishable by a $100 fine PER NIGHT. Hmmmm....$69 room + $100 for being an idiot = I'm surprised you even have that much money to waste.

I can't tell you how many people are surprised by this. I hear it all, "I didn't see no sign", "I thought it was a smoking room (because of the non smoking sign on the door and sign in the room that indicates this is a non smoking room? or the lack of any matches and ash tray?".

My favorite, "I don't smoke". I had a guy tell me this once, while having a cigarette on his ear the whole time. Yea, I use cigarettes as a fashion statement also, genius.

Comment

Probably the customer service desk sign. Some people.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

B&NGoddess mentioned the Customer Service sign...I will never understand how people miss that one.

Also, the GIANT letters on the wall of the music department that say Music & DVDs and are visible from the front of the store..."Where's the music department?"

"Line forms here" on the heavy mental stanchion that holds the velvet ropes that delineate the cashwrap line...

One I can understand: Store2 has their bathrooms in the back corner of the store, and you have to go through the kids department to get there. The back hallway has a big "Restrooms" sign above it but it's sort of hidden by the roof of the "porch" (the green-roofed area in BN kids' department that houses a lot of the stuffed animals and other toys, and often the train set), so they put a sign above the wheelchair ramp to the cafe that says "Restrooms" with an arrow pointing to the back. People are always wandering up that ramp looking for the bathroom. What I can't understand is when I'd see them do it after they asked me where the bathroom was and I'd say (and I said it the same way every time) "Go through the kids' department to the back right corner."
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X