Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get out the 2x4s...(major issues, possibly nsfw)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper (meaning dried peppercorns) is better when fresh-ground because it loses its flavour quickly. This goes for most herbs and spices, although some are simply different when ground or dried vs. whole or fresh.

Unless you're making a brine, or a soup where the herbs are in a bundle, don't use whole peppercorns. They're rather painful to bite down on, from both the perspective of your teeth and tongue.

If you're uncomfortable with cooking in a pan, try baking in an oven. One of my favourite dishes is slow-baked salmon (and you don't have to worry about undercooking it, salmon, when a high-grade and fresh, is very good slightly undercooked):

Take a couple servings of salmon, in an open tinfoil packet, and pour a light oil (veggie, canola) over it, then add salt and pepper. Don't use olive oil for this one, it's really not necessary. Set your oven to 250, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the salmon is flaky.

The only mainstream meats you have to make sure you cook through are chicken and pork. Beef and lamb are fine if slightly underdone, and fish, if fresh, is absolutely delicious when just barely seared around the edges.

Generally, if you're cooking veggies in a pan, you don't need to have the heat so high that you're risking splatter. Use olive oil instead of butter, and make sure there's no water on the veggies when you put them in the pan, you should be fine.

Comment

http://offbeathome.com/ - There are some easy recipes here, as well as general household tips/tricks and awesomeness. Good luck, you're doing great!
      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Just looking at the front food page it's amazing. Wow, thanks for posting that!
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

So, job search not going well. McDonalds hasn't called back, Pizza Hut sent me an automatic "you aren't qualified" email, and...well, that's how it's going.

My concerns about the YWCA are now this: I won't fit the classification of homeless, can I just turn up there if I snap one day...etc.

I AM still job hunting but it's just not going well. Still looking. My aunt says that once [local famous college] lets out for the summer, I may have more luck.
          Last edited by Tama; 05-13-2013, 12:44 AM.
          My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

All I have to say today is ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! (related to the Sister's stalker)

Thank you.

Thank god for Fallout 3 and its...well, you know, gameplay, or I'd have had a breakdown by now.
            My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
              All I have to say today is ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! (related to the Sister's stalker)
              Have some chocolate orange cookies, just out of the oven I claim they're good for stress.
              I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

I love chocolate orange flavor. Mmmm.

(Much needed as I can't play Fallout 3 for long due to a buggered AC system...third time it has borked in about two months)

Thankfully I hit the $2 mark yesterday (you can get a transfer ticket even at that price) from change I got from Al, and today I got another 95 cents, so...yeah. I now have $2 in quarters.

Here's why I didn't waste yesterday's money. I was going to buy a drink that was on sale, and Al said something like, "No, the Sister's outside."

Aka, we can't upset the Sister. Even right now she doesn't feel good (she NEVER feels good, it seems), so we won't go to the store even though we need bread. What's that? Get a bus, you say? Oh no, that would upset her also.
                Last edited by Tama; 05-17-2013, 01:36 AM.
                My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

My financial aid came through. Pell Grant, plus two other smaller (300 each) ones.

My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    My financial aid came through. Pell Grant, plus two other smaller (300 each) ones.

Progress!! *genie cheerleading*

Comment

Now I just have to take the damn math placement test.

BUT I got told that it was unnecessary for me to take the English one.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

So I finally got the chance to CALL the YWCA...after giving my address to get an application, what does she tell me?

"They like you to have been on the job for at least 6 months"...

............as if the last two days weren't shitty enough. I don't even have a job.

So I'd probably have to be already homeless to get in on their transitional thing.

Just great.
                        Last edited by Tama; 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Keep at it with the job hunt! It does take a while to get something, and then suddenly everything happens. And at least you know there is somewhere you can go if you need to walk out - and that's the entire definition of homeless. Are there any other shelters around the place that you could potentially go to? And how are you doing with the money-saving?

Comment

There is one women's shelter, a house sort of thing. Money-saving is nil, because I ended up having to use it to get bread and eggs. Going to have to go back to the Paypal paying survey sites and redouble my efforts.

Job hunt is on-going.

I did however get my class schedule!
                            My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

So I found a good, legit reason to stay, at least until tax time next year. Apparently I qualify as a dependent for my fiance -- and being as I will be a student this fall, this could get $3,000.

As I want to buy a car, that could REALLY help...

Job search is not going well, but Petsmart has some things open so I'm trying there.
                              Last edited by Tama; 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM.
                              My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Because the sister doesn't work (you know lazy sods who won't work and sit on welfare/foodstamps who make the people who really need help look bad? That kind of person), and the mother only makes about $700 a month in SS.

Fiance has always been very trustworthy as far as that sort of money goes. The last few years he has claimed his sister's little one and has handed over the money to her ("It's her kid"), so I really do not think I have any reason to fear I won't get the money. There's a lot of things I don't trust him with but this isn't one of them.

Some stuff has opened up recently around here, so I'm applying around. If I do get a job between now and early next year I will definitely try to get that car. But if I don't what would you suggest doing with the $3k?
                                My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Working...
                                X