Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The getting back in shape thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Thirty minutes, 483 calories, max 167, average 157.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Yeah, felt that.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Forty minutes. Ow. 655 calories. Ow. Avg pulse 159. Ow. Max pulse 166. Ow.

    Will ow feel ow this ow in ow the ow morning.

    Sort of wondering how fast my heart was going when I was driving (ish) down hill on ice to work this morning. Suspect faster...

    Raps ow scallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    60 mins + 2 mins cool down

    3.81mi
    2913'
    494 cal

    Now, to make sure I have a good dinner

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    60 mins, + 2 min cool down

    3.69 miles
    474 cals
    2827'

    Leave a comment:


  • Seshat
    replied
    Quoth Plaidman View Post
    I can't seem to do anything. I try pushup and it hurts. I try excerise bike, and can't do it very long. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Hydrotherapy? Do your exercises in the water. The water supports the weight, and provides extra resistance.

    Also, whether dry land or hydro, start VERY slowly. Take what you expect to be able to do and halve it. Now halve it again. Now throw that number away and start with two reps on the lightest possible resistance.

    I'm not kidding. That's pretty much what the pain physiotherapists did with us. I told them what I expected to be able to do - and Justin shook his head and assigned me a ridiculously light exercise routine to start with. Or what I considered ridiculously light.

    The important thing for us is not the amount of exercise we do, but consistency. Every time we have a disabling pain flare, we lose some of that fitness we gain during the flare and recovery. So it's important that we try to exercise below the level that triggers flares.

    Two steps forward, three steps back gains us nothing. One step forward and stay put, then another step forward half a week later, gets us places.

    If pushups hurt, do one. A standing pushup against a wall. One rep.
    If you can only do thirty seconds on an exercise bike, do those thirty seconds.

    Do two sessions a week. If you can do them for both sessions and not pain-flare, the next week try two pushups, and thirty-five seconds.

    Again, if you can do them for both sessions and not flare, three pushups, and forty seconds.

    Once you get up to 10 pushups, you can start adding pushups by twos. 20% is the pain physiotherapists' rule of thumb. Add 20% if you're doing okay, subtract 20% if you flared.

    Once you're up to 2 sets of 15 reps, increase the resistance and go back down to 2 sets of 5 reps. So instead of a standing pushup, do an inclined pushup against a high surface. Then when at 2 sets of 15, inclined against a low surface. Then on the ground.

    Continue until you're at a level of fitness where you are content with what your body lets you do, OR until you can't add additional resistance/reps without flaring.
    If the latter, speak to a physiotherapist who specialises in pain management or in your particular condition, see what advice they have.

    (Well, actually, I would strongly recommend speaking to a physiotherapist like that ANYWAY. But failing that, print this out and show your doctor, get his/her okay.)




    And on my own progress:
    I joined the gym this week, and one of the instructors kindly went through my physiotherapy prescription and made sure they had all the equipment for it!
    Last edited by Seshat; 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Thirty-five minutes, 566 calories, 158 average, max of 170 BPM. Going to feel that come the morning.

    Of interest is that it's currently having no adverse effect on the knees of doom.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    Will probably hit the gym again today after work, though I do have to hit the store soon to get easy to eat foods for after the tooth extraction.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Was intending a go on the bike last night, but didn't get back until after 8pm. Sodding days off - can't stay away from work Intending hitting it tonight.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    60 mins on treadmill (plus 2 min cool down)
    15 incline
    2749' "elevation"
    3.59 miles
    458 cals burned.

    Now, to dinner! (Field Roast grain "sausage" and black beans)

    Leave a comment:


  • Becks
    replied
    Well, then. Fair enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Optimism.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Becks
    replied
    Quoth Rapscallion View Post
    I wouldn't expect anything else from yourself.
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    Well, tis the new year, so Mount Washington training starts tomorrow... Gotta head back to the gym

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Quoth Becks View Post
    Raps, I can give you (im)moral support, if you'd like.
    I wouldn't expect anything else from yourself.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X