Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The getting back in shape thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Not had a chance over the last couple of days, what with parent in hospital (far better than he was, thankfully). However, in a rush to the counter to pay for my car's repair before they closed, I had to clamber over and jump off one of the fence barriers around the dealership. As I landed, I figured this wasn't a good move.

    No pain.

    May get some tomorrow, but right now it's a vast improvement.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    Grrr....my leg does hurt a bit from the gym last week. MIght have to take it easy this week, not use the awesome treadmill, esp since I want to plan a hike this weekend.

    Leave a comment:


  • lupo pazzesco
    replied
    Hopped on the exercise bike briefly this morning, for 20 minutes at a moderate pace. Trying to get back into the groove of exercising. 253 calories burned. Feelin' the burn.

    Leave a comment:


  • iradney
    replied
    I'm actually taking the Hops on a 7.5km route now. I started at 4 kms, went up to 5, then 6 and now 7.5. I try and run 3kms of it, and walk 4.5kms of it - my legs are sore, and I'm mad hungry most of the day!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Just over twenty minutes, mostly because I couldn't be bothered getting going tonight and I'm hungry. 324 calories. More tomorrow. Avg pule 155, max 164.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    I got the awesome treadmill again....stay on for about 68.5 mins, kept it at 20-30% for about 45 mins, 25% for the rest

    3.6miles
    3817'
    750 cals.

    I'll feel it tomorrow

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Forty minutes, avg 161, max 171, 669 calories. Ow.

    On the DVD player, Ghostbusters I.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    I have the same problem with the strap....I just put the nunchuk in my pocket when running. What an odd sentence if not in the context of ea active?


    Used today as a rest day....but I stupidly went to Trader Joes to use a gift card. I always eat too much after TJ's. Oh well, hahhaha

    Leave a comment:


  • Rine
    replied
    Seshat, thanks for all the information. I copied and pasted it into my exercise idea/info word doc. I can't afford a gym, but I'll keep in the whole..."work alternate muscles" thing in mind.

    Today I bought a used copy of eaActive and did the first day of the 30 day challenge. You know, it said I only burned 140 cals but it feels like more. I am going to buy a better resistance band tomorrow at work along with some work out clothing...

    The only thing that irked me is during the running, the stupid band that goes around the thigh kept slipping down.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
    Have you made any changes to your diet lately, especially strong flavors or scents? Or cut back on something?
    Cutting back - should have done, but what I've done is not to the extent I should have. Not really changed the stuff I eat so much - maybe a little extra with turmeric or cumin, but not that much more.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • ParkingWitch
    replied
    Quoth Rapscallion View Post
    Anyone know why my sweat recently started to smell differently?

    I can't explain the new odour, but as it's mine it's obviously awesome. To me. However, I'm baffled that it's changed.

    Rapscallion
    Have you made any changes to your diet lately, especially strong flavors or scents? Or cut back on something?

    Leave a comment:


  • Rapscallion
    replied
    Anyone know why my sweat recently started to smell differently?

    I can't explain the new odour, but as it's mine it's obviously awesome. To me. However, I'm baffled that it's changed.

    Rapscallion

    Leave a comment:


  • Seshat
    replied
    Quoth Rine View Post
    What kind of weights should I buy, if any? Does yoga really work? Wii fit? Any ideas are appreciated.
    Any activity will help. Get your body moving, in a way that you find enjoyable and will sustain for months or years. If that means flying kites, playing frisbee, walking the dog, or surf-swimming, so be it.

    That's not a direct quote, but it's damn close to what my physiotherapist said.

    That said, a 'gym' routine can supplement your 'fun' activity quite well - make sure you get a whole-body fitness. If a properly-trained fitness instructor knows what your main activity is, she can plan you a gym routine that strengthens the muscles that particular activity doesn't use as much. This is one of the main reasons most 'active' people do gym work as well as their 'fun' thing.

    One important thing: start slow. Take your time. Let your fitness develop at its own rate. You MUST find it enjoyable, if it's hurting you, you're pushing too hard or there's something physically wrong.
    You should feel a kind of ache after exercise - not a bad ache, but an odd feeling that might be new to you. That's the feeling of new muscle developing. It shouldn't hurt, exactly, but it will feel kind of pain-like until you get used to it. Once you are, it should feel good.

    Another thing. If aesthetics matter to you, take a good look at your bone structure. Determine whether your skeletal proportions are skinny/wiry, medium-ish, or buff/solid.
    Then look at the skilled amateurs in all the activities you're interested in: the ones who've been doing it for years. Study the ones whose bone structure matches yours. That's what you'll look like.
    If aesthetics matter enough, pick the activity that will give you the body you want, within the limits of your natural bone structure.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cat
    replied
    Might I brag a bit?

    I was able to snag the "super" treadmill,,....I varied the incline from 20-30% for about 40 mins, and 15% for about 10 min, and -5% for about ten mins (give or take)

    STATS:
    3200'
    3.2 miles
    650 cals
    I feel GREAT!!!!!! Will crash soon, but enjoying the high now.
    I was really just into watching old Everest episodes....figure what I was doing in the gym was far far easier, hahaha

    Next month I want to wear weights as I "climb." I think the gym might frown on me wearing a pack with weights in it, tee hee.

    Rine:

    Wii Fit is fun, but I've found eaActive is better (though on both its a pain to have to keep redoing exercises, because they are so short)

    As for weights, I need that advice too....I want to tone my arms.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rine
    replied
    Okay, is there like a fitness for dummies website out there?

    I would like advice about beginning a fitness regime. I have been in the process of modifying my food intake and have dropped about twenty pounds in three to four months. Sooo, now I would like to address exercise. I already walk a LOT as part of my job, average 3 to 4 miles a shift (so says my pedometer thingie and I walk even more on busy days.) so I don't want to add even more walking. (Though when it gets warmer I'd like to attempt jogging.)

    What kind of weights should I buy, if any? Does yoga really work? Wii fit? Any ideas are appreciated.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X